Insurance help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since y’all are name dropping lol, my insurance is State Farm and theirs is Mercury. 🤷‍♂️

Let State Farm handle it. They do this every day.

Would you pay a Dr or a lawyer for years just in case you got sick or needed legal advice, and then when you did not follow their direction?

Let your insurance company handle it for you. Your rates will not go up because of a subrogation claim. If someone told you they would they lied.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. A lawyer may or may not take the claim, because of the amount. Let lawyer know what / how much you want, PLUS their fee. Start with the suggested lawyer or one that specializes in these claims. 99.9% don't go to court, they settle when their lowball fails.

2. Easiest solution is to make claim on your insurance and let them deal with it. They will pay off claim, less your deductible. You will take a hit on your premium (close to pay out amount, for 4 years)
Claim $1700 - $1000 deductible (you will get the $1000 when other company pays off). Insurance goes up $700 / year for 4 years.

3. Take car to body shop and get repaired. Any cost overage will be between body shop and insurance.

The girl's insurance is trying to lowball you, you admitted you wanted $$$, not repairs. Had a similar situation with teenage son getting rear-ended. I turned it over to my insurance. Started looking for new insurance. As soon as case settled, I switched companies.

You got caught up in their game. You can play or sit on the bench. Sucks, but how it is.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll add that I knew a person that worked for Farmers and she told me that they spent more time
trying to get out of claims than determining if there was a legit claim. Seem the only way to get their attn
is if there is an injury.
I might add, to tell the kids and grand kids to always take photos if in an accident. Especially if there is any hint of injury.

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My suggestion is always turn claims into your carrier that way they are aware of an incident and can take care of problems like this for you(this is what you pay them for). Non at fault incidents aren’t going to ding you with your carrier. They will subrogate the at fault parties carrier to get the money back.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll add that I knew a person that worked for Farmers and she told me that they spent more time
trying to get out of claims than determining if there was a legit claim. Seem the only way to get their attn
is if there is an injury.
I might add, to tell the kids and grand kids to always take photos if in an accident. Especially if there is any hint of injury.

Call insurance, demand they settle as agreed or the next contact will be from your attorney to discuss your neck injury.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My claim didn’t. I ended it through a jury trail and won a judgment for about 20 times the policy limit, but it was a medical and I was a passenger.
The insurance wanted to settle the morning of the trail which was about 2 years after the accident. Too late!

The insurance paid because the insured was about to sue his insurance for not providing the fiduciary responsibility to the policy holder. The insurance could have paid the medical bills and I would have been happy. But they wanted to drag it out, so they really paid, a lot more. I had a smart attorney.

Sounds like your claim went the way that ~2-3% of claims go. The rest, or ~97% never got to trial. Hence my point that calling the commissioner's office ( if you have a valid case) works in a LOT of scenarios at this level.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of y'all wonder why insurance is so high yet want him to fake injuries or get an attorney.

It's a pretty simple process, you submit an estimate, they'll send payment to that shop. If you wanted a different shop, you get an estimate from there and the payment will be transfer. If the payment is less than the amount initially quoted, the shop sends in a supplemental. Typically it will get worked out between the two.

IF you're just trying to pocket the money, then again, call the insurance commissioner or take them to small claims court. If you submit it to YOUR company, they MIGHT do the same thing and pay the shop. Different companies have different methods of settlement. So that's an option, but beware you could run into the same scenario.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a tort law in Oklahoma that an auto accident claim has to be settled within two years, you might want to look that up. It is in favor of the insurance companies who obviously are lobbying our politicians. There is more but I found this:

• Oklahoma Statutes title 12, section 95 sets the statute of limitations for almost all lawsuits stemming from a car accident (except those for wrongful death; more on this later). That statute gives you two years to ask the state courts for a civil remedy for any personal injury or damage to your vehicle or other personal property.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of y'all wonder why insurance is so high yet want him to fake injuries or get an attorney.

It's a pretty simple process, you submit an estimate, they'll send payment to that shop. If you wanted a different shop, you get an estimate from there and the payment will be transfer. If the payment is less than the amount initially quoted, the shop sends in a supplemental. Typically it will get worked out between the two.

IF you're just trying to pocket the money, then again, call the insurance commissioner or take them to small claims court. If you submit it to YOUR company, they MIGHT do the same thing and pay the shop. Different companies have different methods of settlement. So that's an option, but beware you could run into the same scenario.
That's how it works if it's your insurance that's involved. If it's a paid off vehicle you should get a check directly mailed to you. That's what he's upset about. They paid the company and not him, so he can get it fixed when he felt like it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom