Irritating armslist transaction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been wanting to start rabbit hunting so I decided to get a cheap shotgun. There is a mossberg maverick on armslist. He is firm at 175 but insists its very clean and used very little so I'm willing to pay the price. I meet him in OKC. He wrestles the gun from behind the seat of his regular cab truck banging it everywhere and pointing it at my head accidently. When he gets the gun out he lays in his seat and I start to take a look at it. There is a chunk of the stock missing where it meets the receiver and it looks well used on top of that. I mention the chunk of stock missing and that it's not worth near new gun prices. He snatches the gun out of my hands, throws it on the seat, quickly puts his truck in reverse and about knocks me over because I'm standing in the doorway of his truck. He had a little mini temper loss. This guy is about 60 I would guess. The interaction was unsettling at best. I'm used to people being a lot more polite.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to start rabbit hunting so I decided to get a cheap shotgun. There is a mossberg maverick on armslist. He is firm at 175 but insists its very clean and used very little so I'm willing to pay the price. I meet him in OKC. He wrestles the gun from behind the seat of his regular cab truck banging it everywhere and pointing it at my head accidently. When he gets the gun out he lays in his seat and I start to take a look at it. There is a chunk of the stock missing where it meets the receiver and it looks well used on top of that. I mention the chunk of stock missing and that it's not worth near new gun prices. He snatches the gun out of my hands, throws it on the seat, quickly puts his truck in reverse and about knocks me over because I'm standing in the doorway of his truck. He had a little mini temper loss. This guy is about 60 I would guess. The interaction was unsettling at best. I'm used to people being a lot more polite.

Yeah, sound like a real winner. Armslist is full of people who are trying to sell crap to unsuspecting folks. Did he supply any photos of the item first? People that claim they "don't know how" to post photos usually have something to hide.

Glad you came out of the deal unscathed. Check Sooner State Pawn, they usually have one two budget shotguns that will be what you're looking for.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He did post a picture after we agreed to meet. It wasn't clear at all though. I was just going on what he said. Yes, lesson learned, if someone can't provide clear pics then I'm not going to mess with it.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Used guns I'm not even interested in if they can't post a picture. I don't care if "it looks like every other glock out there," post a picture!

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Used guns I'm not even interested in if they can't post a picture. I don't care if "it looks like every other glock out there," post a picture!

Exactly!! it's about assessing condition before continuing the transaction. Funny how some people just don't get that.

and some peoples definition of "like new in box" is very different than mine. a gun can't be like new if it's had 2,000 rounds down the pipe and custom grips put on. geez.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah someone misrepresenting condition or just not being mentally capable of properly evaluating condition is one thing. This guy got pissed off like I had wasted his time after he shows up with a gun he called like new missing a chunk of the stock.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why I like trading on here. I always check old posts by the other party to make sure they seem sane. Haven't had a problem yet at an actual swap. I would just go to Academy and get a new maverick. They are great for the money. You can get a new SXP for a little more and they are excellent. Winchester has a $25 mail in rebate, and a tax reimbursement rebate going on now that you could take advantage of.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are a lot of very immature dudes in the "gun world." Seriously. I noticed it back when I was a youngster. 40+ year-old adolescents who just act like jackasses. People who act like they want to get physical simply because you disagree with them (most of them probably have never been in a fight in their life). It's a poor reflection on the gun community.

Latest posts

Top Bottom