is a 9.00 dollar minimum wage the answer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im in the same boat man.....My ex wont get married cause she would lose all her SSI money and food stamp............ the list goes on and on. She draws big money and the calculations are based off min wage, she is a pro at free money.

I hear ya bother. Before mine found herself a new fool, she was bleeding the system dry and not working on purpose to maximize everything. On top of that, she's working the school system for grant money to attend TCC too. She maintains a certain GPA and she actually makes a couple of thousand profit a semester to take classes.

kriket1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Minimum wage increases always hurt those that they are trying to help. If you haven't figured that out by now, I can't do anything but loan you some of my old college text books. Secondly, why do you think that there are no "good paying job's?" Unfortunately, the sheeple have spoken. Baaaaaaaa

I just want it to be known that im not saying i support the minimum wage increase. Just saying thousands of good jobs have disappeared and that has left a big hole in the job market. And when you don't live in a big city your stuck with what you got. Witch more often then not is minimum wage.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just want it to be known that im not saying i support the minimum wage increase. Just saying thousands of good jobs have disappeared and that has left a big hole in the job market. And when you don't live in a big city your stuck with what you got. Witch more often then not is minimum wage.

For what it's worth, there are a lot of jobs that can be done remotely with just a computer and internet connection.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what it's worth, there are a lot of jobs that can be done remotely with just a computer and internet connection.

True here! My younger bro has his own company, working via the net. He and his family are moving to Honduras in the next couple of weeks to work with an orphanage, kind like missionaries. But with his work, he'll never miss a lick!

funny i keep hearing about this as if it was a single issue problem. the real problem is lack of manufacturing jobs and devaluation of the dollar. ^#%% politicians have basically said to other countries: you can market your products here, take american $$$ to your country to build infrastructure and defense, and our people will try to keep up with your economy based on third-world wages, and we'll get more taxes from them to run things.doesn't make much sense to me.

Sounds funny, coming from TED KENNEDY! :)

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True here! My younger bro has his own company, working via the net. He and his family are moving to Honduras in the next couple of weeks to work with an orphanage, kind like missionaries. But with his work, he'll never miss a lick!

I know several people that travel nationally while working (one out of a camper) and one that travels internationally. Since they can do everything online, there's no issue.

And it's not just the tech industry. There are many people with secretarial career history that are turning into virtual assistants. Some work as employees for firms, while others work freelance. I'm seriously considering hiring one right now simply because employing one full time at $15-$18/hr costs more than hiring one at $50-$60/hr for the 8-10 hours of work per week that I really would need them for. Plus, it's a heck of a lot easier to let them go than an employee when business slows down to the point where they are actually costing me money instead of making me money. Same thing is possible for simple data entry or even copy-editing (although there are plenty of college students asking under $25/hr for that kind of work).

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
whatchu talkin' bout willis?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...pay-has-grown/2012/05/11/gIQArUISIU_blog.html

Average CEO compensation, according to EPI’s calculations, rose 726.7 percent between the years of 1978 and 2011 - more than double the percentage increase in the Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index. Meanwhile, pay for the average private-sector nonsupervisory worker rose a startlingly meager 5.7 percent

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/25/opinion/henry-owens-minimum-wage

The real value of the minimum wage peaked in 1968. Had it kept pace with rising living costs, the minimum wage would exceed $10.50 per hour today. Meanwhile, the U.S. economy has been reorganizing over the past 30 years away from middle-wage jobs in manufacturing and construction and toward low-paying jobs in the rapidly expanding service, retail and restaurant industries.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom