Is there still any interest in the tried and true Win .270

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just something to throw in there for inexpensive 270 I had a savage axis 270 that I sold recently that was just as accurate as any other brand I have shot that is at 100 yards

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I currently own and reload for 6.5-06, 6.5x55, 25-06 and 30-06. My 30-06 is a M1 Garand, so not much recoil of course. The other ones have comparable recoil to my 308 IMO; but EVERY 270 I have ever shot has kicked like a mule! I'm sure its a fine hunting cartridge, and has taken 10's of thousands of animals since its inception worldwide, but I'm just not a fan due to the recoil vs cartridges right around it.

And, another bit of info on the 270...its not based on the 30-06, but the 30-03 case. I figured this out whilst making cases for my 6.5-06; kept wondering why I had to trim so much more off 270 cases vs -06 cases.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently own and reload for 6.5-06, 6.5x55, 25-06 and 30-06. My 30-06 is a M1 Garand, so not much recoil of course. The other ones have comparable recoil to my 308 IMO; but EVERY 270 I have ever shot has kicked like a mule! I'm sure its a fine hunting cartridge, and has taken 10's of thousands of animals since its inception worldwide, but I'm just not a fan due to the recoil vs cartridges right around it.

And, another bit of info on the 270...its not based on the 30-06, but the 30-03 case. I figured this out whilst making cases for my 6.5-06; kept wondering why I had to trim so much more off 270 cases vs -06 cases.
I would be curious as to what brands of 270 rifles you have shot, because the recoil with my Ruger is brutal which I now attribute to poor stock design. The M70 FWT which weighs about the same has very manageable recoil with the same ammo. I now have the M70 in a McMillan stock, and it’s actually a pleasure to shoot.

JuanGrande62221

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perfect caliber. Bigger than a .243 and smaller than a ought6. More umph, and less felt umph. Win win.

Will kill “almost” any animal on the continent. I don’t know why more folks don’t use the .270. Fast and flat. Kill anything in Oklahoma. Know a guy that has killed a dozen elk with a .270. Probably wouldn’t shoot a large brown bear with one, but probably more than sufficient for the largest of black bears.

Mostly easy to find, non exotic ammo.

In my opinion, it’s a perfect caliber.

Y’all feel free to flame away.
I never thought much about them until an elderly relative of mine that I was working with in high school and college talked about the .270 a lot. He had a few, older ruger 77 and 1 in .270 and reloaded. I ran across a NOS Remington 700 DM mountain rifle in .270, and just happened to have set back enough in my gun fund to buy it. Nearly 25 years and probably 50 deer later, it’s still my go to for all the reasons you said. Reasonable, easy to find ammo, accurate, flat shooting, and it just works.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be curious as to what brands of 270 rifles you have shot, because the recoil with my Ruger is brutal which I now attribute to poor stock design. The M70 FWT which weighs about the same has very manageable recoil with the same ammo. I now have the M70 in a McMillan stock, and it’s actually a pleasure to shoot.
I've shot a Ruger 77, a Mauser built gun, a Rem 770 (I know), and one or two others I can't recall make of. I always figured it was just the perfect (or imperfect?) combination of powder charge and bullet weight to make it recoil so much more than my 6.5-06.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a .270 in a Winchester Pre-64 Classic in Super Grade with the BOSS system when that abomination was in vogue.
Killed a few deer with it and sits in the safe now. The wood stock is so pretty, I don’t want to take a chance of scratching it. Lol.
For Whitetail, there are so many other calibers out there that will take them cleanly without the recoil using the new breed of bullets we have out there now.
Yes, I’m also the proud owner of a 6.5 manbun Creedmoor as well. Won at a DU banquet. Loaded up some 108 grain Lapua Scenar bullets over Varget to get a cloverleaf group at 100 yards with the first three shots out of that Ruger American barrel. Zero breakin. Killed a deer with that round last season, so it goes into the safe to await its turn in future rotations.

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I like the exotic and weird calibers but I own multiple 270 Winchester cause its amazing cartridge thats proven throughout the years. I like the ammo availability, performance and how easy it is to reload. The 270 Win is very versatile and can take all the game in Oklahoma. Plus some of the lightweight rifle options are just awesome in the caliber. I know some may not like it cause its in a standard/long action but thats something I have no issues with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom