James Harden

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is something to be said for getting championship rings. $13.75M per year with OKC or $16M per year with Houston. I'm staying with OKC and getting a ring.

^^^ This. And I'd set my happy rich a$$ on that bench if they told me and smile the whole time. How many millions does one need anyway? I'd just like to have one and I'd be so gone from sight nobody would ever find me.

But the Thunder did get a lot for Harden. The management just keeps being impressive. And yeah, Perkins needs to start scoring some points. Pretty decent on defense but lacking in the points for sure.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, $80M! That's more than the first speculated $60ish. I think he made a smart move, for him. More scratch...and he gets to be a starter on a team that's trying to make some moves.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$80 million to play basketball for five years? Hmmm, I would take $5 mil to be a towel boy for five years and then retire........what do towel boys make anyway? Seriously, at the risk (flame suit on) of being grilled, is ANY professional sports figure worth that kind of money? I mean, they make no difference in everyday society, like say, the police, teachers, or other average joes that get paid squat? I think we have some pretty messed up priorities in America when it comes to salary. Good grief, that's even more than POTUS earns for four years........by a long shot. (flame suit off) That being said, I do enjoy watching sports and think that Harden will kinda become average without the other Thunder players to help lift him.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes they are 'worth' it....based on much money professional sports generates. He gets paid what the market will bear....as it should be. His large salary does not result in a cop or a teacher getting paid less.

If we as a society decide he's not worth that, we are free to stop watching the games on TV or in person, buying the shoes they pimp...and the other goods they endorse/sell commercial time for. But then the void will just be filled by another sport.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah sure, that's easy to say from your chair. But if you were in Harden's, I can guarantee that you too would be searching for a new crib down in Houston just like Harden. 3.25 million more a year is some serious jack. You'd have to be a fool to turn down that kind of money. Especially with Harden being so young.
If it were 500k or 3.75M, then of course I'd move. But $55M in 4 years with 4 possible chances for rings or $80 in 5 years with 0 possible chances for rings, I'd give up the extra. It's not always about money. I took a 20% pay cut in 2010 for my current job. So it is easy for me to say it from my chair.

Yes, he's young, but in 5 years when he has the chance to move to a team with a chance of winning, there will be 5 more years worth of younger guys in the pool. I think the money was less of an issue to him as much as starting was. He went to a loser team so he could be the man. Playing with Lin, he's going to be the man.

Latest posts

Top Bottom