Keurig can stick it where the sun don't shine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Umm, if you're boiling the water, you're brewing your coffee wrong.

Huh. I guess my stovetop percolator has been doing it wrong then. I drink lots of coffee everyday and the first few and last cups everyday are from a percolator. Still my favorite way to enjoy a cup of coffee. Screw the fancy little single cup brewers. I'll stick to making good coffee the hard way. I can even notice the difference of electric drip coffee over percolator style.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Huh. I guess my stovetop percolator has been doing it wrong then. I drink lots of coffee everyday and the first few and last cups everyday are from a percolator. Still my favorite way to enjoy a cup of coffee. Screw the fancy little single cup brewers. I'll stick to making good coffee the hard way. I can even notice the difference of electric drip coffee over percolator style.

your commend about making coffee the 'hard way' reminded me of this scene in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation:

[after Clark fails at lighting all the exterior Christmas lights at the "lighting ceremony" in front of the entire family]
Frances: Talk about pissing your money away. I hope you kids see what a silly waste of resources this was.
Audrey: He worked really hard, Grandma.
Art: So do washing machines.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Technically, by the time the water reaches the coffee in your percolator, it's no longer boiling, having cooled down in the tube. It does however tend to boil the already brewed coffee, but this only causes stronger coffee, and doesn't generally lead to the extraction of less desirable chemicals. Of course if your percolator isn't working correctly, that could be a different story.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm reminded of this scene in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation:

[after Clark fails at lighting all the exterior Christmas lights at the "lighting ceremony" in front of the entire family]
Frances: Talk about pissing your money away. I hope you kids see what a silly waste of resources this was.
Audrey: He worked really hard, Grandma.
Art: So do washing machines.

Maybe so. But I also never just have a cup of coffee at home so it works great for my needs.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was young ...in the Forest Service, fighting forest fires, we would draw cantine duty once in a while..Northern Cal.
It was my turn to make the coffee, I asked the "Chef" how to do it.
He said ...get that big pot fill it with water and dump about a pound of coffee in it.
I grabbed the pot and a bag of coffee, go it to boiling, dumped the coffee in...?
He ask ...What are you doing, I said ...Making coffee....he said ...thats a 5 pound bag...ooops
Everybody loved the coffee...it would make the dead walk...thats usually what you needed to go back to the fire line....Good Coffee... ;)

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn near made the 2.0 mistake in a Christmas present for the wifey. I read about that closed source kcup crap and said "hell no." So I bought her one of those instant boil water faucets and installed it. Turns out I got points for present and for creativity. "So honey, about that varmit rifle build I was talking about?" -me.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've been using Senseo coffee machines since they first came out but walmart recently quit stocking the coffee pods for it. I bought some off their online site and and also a refillable pod. Still have some experimenting to do with different grinds for that before I can claim success there.

My parents still rock a senseo from time to time and I showed them how to make their own pods using small coffee filters filled with their coffee of choice, works like a champ....saw it on youtube.

Latest posts

Top Bottom