Kimber and rust :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't worry, corrosion is a constant concern for firearm owners (Or should be). I've found corrosion on 416 Stainless and even on the underside of a Glock slide I bought off ebay.

Brass wire brush, careful glass bead blast with clean media or fine scotchbrite and a careful touch. Sweaty hands put salty sweat between grip panels and frame. Detail strip it, clean all metal parts with spray brake cleaner and allow to dry. This'll leave it totally oil free and allow you to see any corrosion under a bright light and reading glasses if needed. Clean the backs of the grip panels with spray cleaner and dry to remove any salt.

A super thin coat of grease may help under your grip panels- not because it's a better corrosion preventative itself, but because it stays put longer than liquid lubes. Unless your house is really humid or has big temperature swings, I wouldn't worry about corrosion re-starting, other than maybe pulling your grips off to clean after shooting with sweaty hands.

Go out and put 500+ rounds through it in an afternoon, it'll make you feel better about the pistol.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate the info everyone! I would expect it on the barrel as it was left in the white but the body of the gun was just odd to me since my 357 is just fine.. but hey.. small price to pay for such a smooth shooting gun.
I don't get the hate on the Hi-points... They make a wonderful club/ cement stirrer :P

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't worry, corrosion is a constant concern for firearm owners (Or should be). I've found corrosion on 416 Stainless and even on the underside of a Glock slide I bought off ebay.

Brass wire brush, careful glass bead blast with clean media or fine scotchbrite and a careful touch. Sweaty hands put salty sweat between grip panels and frame. Detail strip it, clean all metal parts with spray brake cleaner and allow to dry. This'll leave it totally oil free and allow you to see any corrosion under a bright light and reading glasses if needed. Clean the backs of the grip panels with spray cleaner and dry to remove any salt.

A super thin coat of grease may help under your grip panels- not because it's a better corrosion preventative itself, but because it stays put longer than liquid lubes. Unless your house is really humid or has big temperature swings, I wouldn't worry about corrosion re-starting, other than maybe pulling your grips off to clean after shooting with sweaty hands.

Go out and put 500+ rounds through it in an afternoon, it'll make you feel better about the pistol.

I tend to agree with this! Sweats got so many things in it that are bad for guns!!! Not sure what grade of stainless the Kimbers are made from but I suspect it is at least 304, 316, etc. If so, it should be fairly resistant to rust. Be careful what you rub the rust off with. If your wire brush is carbon steel or if you use something like steel wool you risk transfering carbon onto the surface of the stainless. This transfered carbon can rust like crazy. If you do blast the frame make sure you take UnSafe's advise and use glass bead. I'll promise you the stainless will rust if you blast with some kind of iron grit.
Good luck

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't have access to glass bead blasting then what materials do you suggest to use to remove the rust?

If a glass bead blast finish is what you want you've just got to find someone to do it...and its got to be done by someone with an even/steady hand or the finish will be "shaded" looking. If you like the #2 finish a lot of stainless pistols have you can get that with a piece of 600 grit wet/dry sand paper; face up on a really flat surface. Work the slide across the paper in one motion...muzzel to hammer end. Don't press hard but the pressure should be even during the entire stroke across the paper.

Reaction score
the correct way to refinish a kimber is with 220 grit beads @ 40 psi. good luck:) if your going to rework the pistol in another way, I would suggest scotch bright, brown or green.

P.s., the problem your having is not high carbon, its low nickel, the carbon doesnt increase because of the lack of nickel in the alloy. :) I know I am a dork...had to say it.

best reguards,

A

Latest posts

Top Bottom