Looking to purchase a new 1911 in the future

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a Kimber Dealer, but that being said, I still like the Colt 1911's, they keep their value, everybody knows the name, they shoot great right out of the box. That is why when a distributor has any I try to buy them all so that I can carry a selection in my show room. I sell way more Colt 1911's than anything other 1911.

With Colt you are buying more than a name.

I hope this give you some perspective, as to what people in the market buy most of.

Mark

RIP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have to admit that Les makes an enviable 1911 but I'd say you are on the right track looking at Kimber. I was hesitant at first and opted for a Colt LW Commander but sold it and bought a Kimber CDP II and have never looked back. Nighthawk is right about Colt resale but frankly if you buy the right gun resale doesn't really matter. Besides, Kimber has great resale too if you don't pay suggested retail. Good luck!

MadMonkey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm looking to get another 1911 in the future, budget of around $1000, been looking at a Kimber, any suggestions out there?

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth. STI STI STI! Love em. Base model, the Spartan retails around $620 and goes up from there. But they are solid, accurate and dependable, from my experience.
First time I checked one out at Heartland Outdoors in Edmond. I rented the Duty One, Spartan and the Ranger II I think. Wow.

Whatever you do, just make sure you get into H&H or Heartland Outdoors and rent a few. See what you like.
Good luck.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to H&H Gun Expo on the 21st - 23 July and shoot all the 1911's they have. I went last year so I could shoot the Wilson 1911's. Ended up buying a TRP, which I shot better than any of the Wilson's. I'm hoping they'll have some Ed Brown 1911's this year. It's nice to shoot the guns at the expo....because they aren't torn apart range guns. The manufactures bring the good stuff.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for my first 1911 as well. The bride is only allowing me to budget $750, so I've narrowed it down to the Ruger SR1911 (100-percent U.S.-made) and the Springfield Range Officer (Brazilian-made, but damn accurate). With a $1,000 budget, you could spend the balance on extra mags and ammo.

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My opinion doesn't count for TOO much as I am not a 1911 owner, but I was VERY attracted to a Kimber Custom Carry II at $980. A handful of small enhancements on it already, looks great, and has the laser grips.

dtaylor9551

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II with night sights and lazer grips. Bought it new and have $1200 invested in it. Shoots great and handles well. Go to indoor range couple times a month and have shot various round, hardball round, square and hollow point bullets and has never jammed. Highly recommend Kimber.

Latest posts

Top Bottom