Looking to purchase a new 1911 in the future

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read good reviews on Rock Island Armory 1911. They are cheap and ugly but they seem to work and they have good customer service from what I've read.

Wait I could have sworn most 1911's look pretty similar. (im just messing with ya)

You know what you like so I say just go ahead and by the gun you been eyeing. If you settle on the "common sense" option then you will just end up doubling up and getting what you actually wanted sooner than later. That idea might not be all that bad...

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm looking to get another 1911 in the future, budget of around $1000, been looking at a Kimber, any suggestions out there?

It's really easy to break past your budget and always suggest something above it with 1911s. I would concur with the others that Les Baers are probably the best in the $1400 price range. TRPs are probably the best in the $1200 price range. The first Dan Wesson Valors are likely the best in the $1000-1100 range. (DW used to be the best bargain on the market, but that has changed.)

Assuming that $1000 is your max limit, the next question is new or used. If I was to buy a 1911 and had $1000, I would probably try to pick up a Colt Special Combat. Here is a link to one (it's not my ad): http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=240464139
Or I would get a used Colt Series 70 (and used the rest for sights), or a new Springfield Loaded, or a new STI Ranger II.

In the 1911 world, you get what you pay for up until you reach about $2000 - after $2000, you're paying for looks. I personally think Wilson Combat and Ed Brown are the best semi-customs on the market (I say this having never shot a Les Baer).

But also consider, as awesome as a $1500 1911 is, a $500 Glock/M&P is just as functional, effective, and reliable. As much as I enjoyed my CQB, my Glock 17 does the same thing for a whole lot less. And that $1000 saved can go a long way towards ammo and training that will improve possibly life-saving skills. Just food for thought.

slide

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too own a Kimber. Custom Crimson Carry II. It is the first 1911 I have owned and has done great so far. I did get the chance to put 100 rounds through a Les Baer and it was an incredible experience.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree with previous about Colts, but that new Ruger 1911 sure looks purdy and is supposed to perform as a Ruger should! I am gonna check 'em out. I have owned a Colt Combat for years.

BadBadJohn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for my first 1911 as well. The bride is only allowing me to budget $750, so I've narrowed it down to the Ruger SR1911 (100-percent U.S.-made) and the Springfield Range Officer (Brazilian-made, but damn accurate). With a $1,000 budget, you could spend the balance on extra mags and ammo.

This is the way to go...... An SR1911, buy 4 Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags and spend the rest on ammo!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom