Looking to purchase a new 1911 in the future

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911Nut

Marksman
Reaction score
In that price range or less in fact you can get a GREAT 1911. Go with a Springfield, Kimber, STI, or the new Ruger. Then you will have some coin left over for additional mags and some ammo.

The higher end gun are okay, but at the end of the day the only real difference in them and the mid ranged guns is the price and the guys name on the side of the slide. I have had just about ever 1911 you can think of, and the one I like the most are the Springfield Operators, and the Kimber CDP's. The only REAL difference in the Baer's, Browns, Wesson's, etc... with the mid ranged guns like the Springfield's, Kimber's, S&W's, etc... is 1. the price, and 2. some are fit a SLIGHTLY bit better, but you will never see or know a difference in the performance of the gun.

Here is a pic of three of my favorite guns.

ai300.photobucket.com_albums_nn5_boafanatic17_IMG_0111.jpg

1911Nut

Marksman
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to add. Just what ever you do. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT buy it at a retail gun store like H&H, Heartland, etc.. Get on gunbroker and find one. If you go to one of those gun stores you are gonna get it stuck to you HARD!

Last edited:

kriket1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is an absolutely absurd post. There is a huge difference between a semi/custom hand fit 1911 with tool steel parts, and an assembly line kimber with essential parts being made with the mim process. I have had three kimbers over the year's, the first was a series 1 and it was the only one that didn't crap out on me. The second and third where series ll, one a crimson carry ll. The other a tactical. It is true tho that after about the $2500 mark you are paying a bit more for the name of a highly regarded smith.

My suggestion would be to ether buy a used Springfield 1911 A1(I have seen them in good condition for around $500) and send it in to a smith like Steve morreson[sp] at mars armament. And have him do a reliability package, and whatever else you would like done to the pistole with the money you have left over. Or send a pistol you already own to him and have him do one of his custom packages on it. Ether way it will be heads and sholders above any kimber. Steve is also one of the nicest guys you will ever speak with. Good luck with your search.

1911Nut

Marksman
Reaction score
This is an absolutely absurd post. There is a huge difference between a semi/custom hand fit 1911 with tool steel parts, and an assembly line kimber with essential parts being made with the mim process. I have had three kimbers over the year's, the first was a series 1 and it was the only one that didn't crap out on me. The second and third where series ll, one a crimson carry ll. The other a tactical. It is true tho that after about the $2500 mark you are paying a bit more for the name of a highly regarded smith.

My suggestion would be to ether buy a used Springfield 1911 A1(I have seen them in good condition for around $500) and send it in to a smith like Steve morreson[sp] at mars armament. And have him do a reliability package, and whatever else you would like done to the pistole with the money you have left over. Or send a pistol you already own to him and have him do one of his custom packages on it. Ether way it will be heads and sholders above any kimber. Steve is also one of the nicest guys you will ever speak with. Good luck with your search.

Tell you what, go waste.... I mean spend a bunch of money to let some yahoo build you a gun, and I will bring a bone stock Kimber, or SA. I bet yours will malfunction first, and I will out shoot you.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would buy a COLT.
If there are any options/amenities I needed that were not available on the factory model, I'd customize it.

I've had extremely bad luck with Kimbers and I'm pretty much soured on them altogether.....not to mention that every "factory custom" 1911 produced has every array of "extended" this or that.
Frankly there are not very many aftermarket parts/custom options that I require to be satisfied with a good self defense 1911.
YMMV

Regardless, if it ain't a COLT, it's a copy. ;)

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell you what, go waste.... I mean spend a bunch of money to let some yahoo build you a gun, and I will bring a bone stock Kimber, or SA. I bet yours will malfunction first, and I will out shoot you.

You realize there is a difference in lifetime round count on a custom gun and a factory gun because one is made with higher quality parts right?

1911Nut

Marksman
Reaction score
You realize there is a difference in lifetime round count on a custom gun and a factory gun because one is made with higher quality parts right?

Well since I've owned over 100 1911's ranging from a $400.00 RIA to $5000.00+ custom builds, yes I realize that. That being said I have several production Kimbers and SA's that were well over the 20k round mark without a single issue ever. All were stock and never had anything other than a cleaning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom