Mayberry, America

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is why after I lived in Tulsa most of my life I moved to the country. Yep, it is 15 miles to the nearest place I can purchase a loaf of bread, but so what? It is frequently a 40 mile drive to have a few drinks and listen to some live music, but we get by. I grew up in a little community named Mingo, North of American Airlines, North East of the Tulsa Airport when most of the kids met at the baseball field to play work up in the summer, and you had to be home before dark. If mom needed you, she knew where to find you without a cell phone or GPS. We had to mentally keep track, sometimes we had up to two things in a single month to make sure we did not miss something important. Saturday morning was a trip into town for groceries, if the weather was nice I would help had wash the car in the afternoon. Life was different then.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is why after I lived in Tulsa most of my life I moved to the country. Yep, it is 15 miles to the nearest place I can purchase a loaf of bread, but so what? It is frequently a 40 mile drive to have a few drinks and listen to some live music, but we get by. I grew up in a little community named Mingo, North of American Airlines, North East of the Tulsa Airport when most of the kids met at the baseball field to play work up in the summer, and you had to be home before dark. If mom needed you, she knew where to find you without a cell phone or GPS. We had to mentally keep track, sometimes we had up to two things in a single month to make sure we did not miss something important. Saturday morning was a trip into town for groceries, if the weather was nice I would help had wash the car in the afternoon. Life was different then.

that was a great part of town back in the day. I grew up in Owasso in the early 70s. Kind of the same way. Kids roaming the town til dark. Knew the police judges mayor etc cause you all went to church together. If you did something wrong half the neighborhood told your parent before you got home. I would live there in heartbeats.

My goal is to retire to a small town like that. There are some in OK maybe AR. My wife's mom is leaving her a house in Stilwell that we are looking at working on fixing it up for us. No one is living there now so we can start into.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absofreakinglutely! But times were different then. People looked after each other in that time. Now? Just drop me in the middle of Montana about 100 miles from anyone else.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Absofreakinglutely! But times were different then. People looked after each other in that time. Now? Just drop me in the middle of Montana about 100 miles from anyone else.

Uhm.....well......
Problem is, most of the transplants moving to Western Montana aren’t from California. According to a report published in 2003 by Montana Business Quarterly, most transplants come over from Washington with California coming in second. Here’s another kicker from the report. In 2001 there were 3,700 Californians moving to Montana and 2,900 Montanans moving to California.
Now maybe in the middle it might be different, can you skin grizz?:)

http://www.newwest.net/index.php/city/article/4480/C8/L8

Latest posts

Top Bottom