Motorcycle Lane sharing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lifelong Okie here. Did a year in L.A. with my bike as my only transportation and I was a lane splitting fool in rush hour traffic.

The CHP got it to be legal out there because that's the only way they could get to calls in anything resembling a reasonable time. I hate to say it, but I felt better riding in traffic there than I do here. I don't really care to ride in the city any more because drivers here are some no drivin a-holes. Sad but true.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the record: guy I work with just got back from California, from his brother's memorial service. Got hit and died lane splitting.

See it all the time in other countries. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten spooked and nearly swerved off the road by some jackhole on a scooter zooming on the centerline. Nearly clipping my mirror off in the process. Of course, where my wife is from, I'll be there experiencing this in a few weeks. I have no doubt I'll see multiple traffic fatalities from this kind of behavior as well as stupid passing on hills in the three weeks I'll be there. They just write it up as stupid driving - happens several times a week there. Hell, they had a bus (think big van, really) go off a cliff into the ocean a couple years back trying to pass someone - I think they had 15 or 17 on the bus, most of whom died?

Just craziness, but honestly, they count it as a cost of the lifestyle in other countries.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should be perfectly legal in slow or stopped traffic. Illegal at high speeds.

you have got to be kidding. This is a deadly attitude. Common sense tells the remainder of us not to honor it or do it. So you say well I need to remember that a cycle may come upon me and pass me via lane splitting when sitting still? Sort of like the long lines waiting for food at an OU ballgame, "Ok Im tired of waiting because its moving too slow, so I'll cut the line and move up" That would last about one second. LMAO.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you say well I need to remember that a cycle may come upon me and pass me via lane splitting when sitting still?

Yeah, why not? Can't walk and chew gum?

When I'm driving in Portland or other cities with high-traffic bike lanes I have to remember to watch for cyclists when making a right turn or opening my car door.

Sometimes you have to watch for things other than cars on the road. If you are taking a right turn on a green light there may be pedestrians in the crosswalk. Driver's ed much?

Let me guess, you think bicycles should be banned from roads too, huh?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perhaps you could point out where someone suggested that motorcycles be banned from roads. I must have missed that...
Perhaps you can eat me.

If you hate bikers driving like douches, then you apparently hate anything on two wheels.

Dr. Boatzz seems to have trouble watching for smaller moving objects on the road. It only stands to reason he feels the same about cyclists.

Driving in a bike-friendly city can be nerve wracking. You have to pay way more attention than you do in the burbs.

Watching a bike lane and watching for splitting/filtering seem to take the same amount of effort.

Latest posts

Top Bottom