Motorcycle Lane sharing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcwizzard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lmao.. Yeah... They don't take kindly to lane splitting around here.. I found this out the hard way back in 1982 when I came back from California.. Hit rush hour traffic on I-40.. Traffic at a stand still.. Been on the road for 22hrs on a hardtail.. Didn't even think about it.. Grabbed a handful of throttle and jumped in the " bike only lane" .. All of a sudden I'm hearing voices.. (22hrs only stopping for fuel) I'm thinking self.. you need to get off this road quick.. then I notice the OHP running down the shoulder of the road. He's on the p.a. telling me to pull my D.A. over.. Yeah.. He explained it really well that we do NOT do that around here.... But..
I have to say he was really cool once he "lectured" me.. no ticket...

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im getting the impression there are a lot of anti bikers on this forum........ Most of the accidents in the video are caused by bikers going too fast and auto drivers oblivious to anything going on outside their vehicle.

Why should drivers have to consider a biker splitting lanes at high speeds? It's not a biker thing, it's a douche thing.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't get it that lane splitting is legal in CA. It presents an additional road hazard, not just to the rider but also to motorists. For what? Also, people who ride motorcycles want the same rights as motorists, and that's fine, but to expect to be able to bypass traffic by lane splitting? I don't think so.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I completely understand why lane splitting in CA is legal. It probably reduces the total volume of traffic by a good margin. If you've driven much in the LA area you know why doing just about anything to reduce the total amount of traffic is important.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you've driven much in the LA area you know why doing just about anything to reduce the total amount of traffic is important.
I've driven in LA quite a bit. Nearly got me a couple of 'em last time I was there. Not intentionally, but not everybody's looking for them to come whizzing past - especially Okies in rentals. And I used to ride too.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So then if I am driving in California and I make a lane change hitting a biker that is sharing the lane because I didn't see him or he wasn't there when I initially looked, would I be at fault for the accident?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not anti-biker at all. I ride, my son rides, one grandson rides. But, not only is it illegal in Oklahoma, it's just plain foolish, IMHO. It's like passing in a no passing zone. Around here, where people are not used to seeing it, it's a good way to get nailed ... accidentally. Add to that the number of people who DON'T like bikers for no particular reason, and who will intentionally pull out in front of a bike, cut one off, or open a car door if they see you lane splitting, and you are just begging for disaster! YMMV

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That video reminds me why I don't split lanes. I have nothing against it, as long as it's done in a safe manner (and, yes, it CAN be done in a safe manner). Videos like this show the idiots (on motorcycles) that misuse the technique and the idiots (in cars) that don't pay enough attention to their surroundings. I have been tempted 1001 times to split lanes and I've just not been able to get myself into it. I've filtered up front at stop lights a few times, and I think that should definitely be allowed. Getting me out in front of all of the cars so I can get away from them just plain makes sense. Unless you are driving some sort of super car, I can bet that I'll be off the line and out of your way long before you get through the intersection.

Latest posts

Top Bottom