Neck Shots on Deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad hit one with a Chevy Silverado half ton at approximately 58 m.p.h. It really didn't knock the deer down in its tracks, but knocked it in the air, then when it started leaving tracks again, it was skidding to a stop.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little content to help the productivity of this thread -
It looks to me that if one were to purposely go for a neck shot, your kill box is not 6'', but instead the area between the center and bottom of the neck. that 3-4'' kill box will sever carotid arteries, trachea & possibly spine. I'd say that it's a very lethal kill box, but definitely a situation one. I'd say that this shot would be useful in meat preservation, best limited to ranges where the acceptable margin of error is 2'' or less. A misplaced neck shot impacting above the spinal cord looks to be a likely crippling shot, but not one that would cease life sustaining functions. Most questions do not have a single Yes or No, Right or Wrong answer. Best answers are explanatory following an in depth analysis imo.
View attachment 23386
View attachment 23387
View attachment 23388
View attachment 23389
[Broken External Image]

Well said Dr. Oberts.

zcruse

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all depends on where the deer is and what it is doing. For me if the deer is fairly calm, not running side to side, and within 100 yards I take the neck shot - I've done this for years and have yet to have it fail me holding to these limitations. If the deer seems flustered, is moving or further out than that I take the boiler zone shot. I will say this, if a deer is moving straight away from you, the neck shot is perfect - as long as your windage is good, you can have a fairly large vertical variation and still get a kill shot meaning that range estimation becomes less critical which is important for a target whose range is constantly changing (since its moving away from you)

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always wanted to take a neck shot on a deer. But when I see one and the action starts to happen I never consider it since I have been going for heart/lung shots all my life. Maybe one of these days I'll think about it prior to seeing them while sitting in wait.

Latest posts

Top Bottom