Neck Shots on Deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never taken a neck shot, can't see the logic in it. With a neck shot you have what a couple inches of kill zone, move the crosshairs back and you have maybe 10" of kill zone? I gusee if I had a trophy with only his neck sticking out and no hope of seeing the rest I would take it, just hasn't happened in 43 years. If your gonna aim for the neck, why not just aim for his head, or eyeball or something silly like that.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make more sense to me to brush up on rifle proficiency and marksmanship, but to each their own. I've never had problem with neck shots, even all the way out to 300. If you can't shoot with iron sights you have no business attempting to shoot with a scoped rifle.
Brush up on rifle proficiency and marksmanship all you want but if the gun is not capable of shooting anything better than a 12 inch group at 100 yards please tell me how in the hell you can hit a 6 inch target at 100 yards. I once bought a new Rem. 700 in 25-06 and the very best it would do was maybe 12 inches. After lots of heartburn we discovered it had an egg shaped chamber that Remington was glad to replace..So..practice your breathing, rubbing or whatever all the professionals do but the very best you can possibly shoot is still limited by the accuracy of your gun..BUT to each their own.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't say sights somehow affect accuracy; surely they can shoot 6 inch group on a 6 foot target, that doesn't mean they can engage a 6" target @ 1000 yards: you simply can't see it at that distance without magnification: magnification has it's pros and cons just like everything else.

Just because you don't like me - it doesn't mean you have to reply to my post by calling my dumb first. I though I was on your ignore list! Liar!!! :)

Yeah, your on my ignore list but when somebody quotes one of your statements that doesn't hold water, I can see it.

This is one incredibly dumb statement:
surely they can shoot 6 inch group on a 6 foot target, that doesn't mean they can engage a 6" target @ 1000 yards: you simply can't see it at that distance without magnification: magnification has it's pros and cons just like everything else.

And you say you shoot competitively?? LOL! You had better check out your facts, you don't have a clue about long range shooting.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, your on my ignore list but when somebody quotes one of your statements that doesn't hold water, I can see it.

surely they can shoot 6 inch group on a 6 foot target, that doesn't mean they can engage a 6" target @ 1000 yards: you simply can't see it at that distance without magnification: magnification has it's pros and cons just like everything else.

And you say you shoot competitively?? LOL! You had better check out your facts, you don't have a clue about long range shooting.
Me thinks you have a chip on your shoulder. Best knock it off or it might be someone else will. You seem to be the OSA god around here for some reason. I think its gone to your head.
Your opinion is not the only right one.
(zip zip, flame suit on, bring it)

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't say sights somehow affect accuracy; surely they can shoot 6 inch group on a 6 foot target, that doesn't mean they can engage a 6" target @ 1000 yards: you simply can't see it at that distance without magnification: magnification has it's pros and cons just like everything else.

Just because you don't like me - it doesn't mean you have to reply to my post by calling my dumb first. I though I was on your ignore list! Liar!!! :)

[Broken External Image]

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
whew! seems like i hit on a controversial subject. mainly looking for success stories and there seems to be that but i just don't know if i could ever change my ways. like i said in my original post, it just nevr crosses my mind until after the fact.

i got to thinking about the whole neck shot thing when looking at some indian art and it shows indians taking neck shots. probably because their stick and string bows didn't have enough energy for shoulder/rib penatration.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me thinks you have a chip on your shoulder. Best knock it off or it might be someone else will. You seem to be the OSA god around here for some reason. I think its gone to your head.
Your opinion is not the only right one.
(zip zip, flame suit on, bring it)

Speaking of panties in a wad...

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little content to help the productivity of this thread -
It looks to me that if one were to purposely go for a neck shot, your kill box is not 6'', but instead the area between the center and bottom of the neck. that 3-4'' kill box will sever carotid arteries, trachea & possibly spine. I'd say that it's a very lethal kill box, but definitely a situation one. I'd say that this shot would be useful in meat preservation, best limited to ranges where the acceptable margin of error is 2'' or less. A misplaced neck shot impacting above the spinal cord looks to be a likely crippling shot, but not one that would cease life sustaining functions. Most questions do not have a single Yes or No, Right or Wrong answer. Best answers are explanatory following an in depth analysis imo.
View attachment 572_005_Deer_1.jpg
View attachment 572_004_muscles_1.jpg
View attachment 572_003_skeleton_1.jpg
View attachment 572_002_circulatory_1.jpg
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom