Need to move a 4x8 above-ground storm shelter, recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's not a super long move I would just get four furniture dollys and put on under each corner. Run a strap around the dolly and shelter and roll it away.

I worked at a place that built modular homes and this is basically how we moved houses as they were being built. The dollys we used were made from multiple pieces of one inch thick plywood around 2 feet long and one foot wide and each had ten casters on it but the same principle works here. For that matter I helped move a car that had broken the ball joint with a movers dolly and it was a v8 ford crown vic.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your looking at 1800 lbs if made from 1/4" steel, plus a couple pounds of weld and hardware.
You can narrow your search with the suggestions to that weight.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First you need to measure height of unit and compare to height of door you will be going out. I just had one installed in my garage last fall and there was only an inch of difference. They used rolling jacks with a plate made to go under the unit.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a home made steel bed trailer that you can use to move it. single axle but I have hauled 5500 lbs on it many times.
I will volunteer to help if you plan to do it yourself.
I have steel pipe we can roll the thing out of the garage on and load onto the trailer.
Thing is picking it up.
Only need to pick up one end and come along it up the ramps onto the trailer.
I have chains and come along to do it.

That is if you feel froggy..and as stated you need to measure the door opening and height.

How far is the move??

This is the trailer behind the Geo metro. With the 57 4 door on it.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/i-let-the-smoke-out-of-my-1957-chevy.212005/

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think there is a member here that owns a shelter company. Maybe someone knows who I'm talking about and maybe you can throw some ideas around with him.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate all the ideas.

It's installed in the back of the garage. So it'll have to be rolled out - then loaded on a trailer.
Driveway is mostly level - some slope - but nothing crazy.
It's 79" tall, and the garage door frame is 81" tall. So it's do-able, but tight. (no problem)

I called the shelter manufacturer and they quoted me $800 to re-locate. (includes installation in the new garage)
I did find (2) gun-safe movers that quoted me numbers about $500~ish. (I think it includes installation)
Oh, and (1) guy that re-locates backyard pre-built sheds quoted me $500.
I got nothing out of the Septic-tank folks. I guess it's hit-or-miss for that.

I'm still debating DYI - or contracting it out ($500-800).
Honestly, the job isn't that challenging or difficult - but I'm trying to weight the hassle/risks/ and time-frame.
Yeah, I could save a lot of cash - but ....errr .... the contractor would get it done and installed - QUICK.
As a rule of thumb - my projects tend to take way-too long. Hahaha :)

For the price I got it - even with contracting it out - I'm still $ ahead of the game.
So "DIY" ...or... "When in doubt, contract it out."

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Easier that way. I calculated the weight at 1800 lbs using your specs. That is really not that hard to DIY. An appliance dolly strapped on and two guys pushing from the other side would move it easily across the garage. Tip it into a trailer, Use a come-along, and your there.
Good luck!

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Easier that way. I calculated the weight at 1800 lbs using your specs. That is really not that hard to DIY. An appliance dolly strapped on and two guys pushing from the other side would move it easily across the garage. Tip it into a trailer, Use a come-along, and your there.
Good luck!

Exactly this....Shoot you get a couple cases of beer and a few pizzas (along with some soda for the non drinkers) and I bet we could get twenty people out there to move it easy. Free beer and pizza will bring out a whole lot of new "friends" fast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom