No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may have heard the old saying that no good deed goes unpunished.... well, here is a perfect example. A lifeguard saves a young boy from drowning in the ocean surf and gets charged $2,600 for his own medical treatment... including a $1,907 bill for a 15 mile ambulance ride to the ER. What makes me mad is the fact that the 12 yr old kid he saved rode in the same ambulance.. and is probably being billed the same amount. Just legalized robbery!

Lifeguard gets $2,600 bill after rescuing boy from surf
By Ron Recinto | The Lookout – 3 hrs ago

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/lifeguard-gets-2-600-bill-rescuing-boy-surf-130832240.html

Seventeen-year-old John Clark of Vancouver, Wash., knew what to do when he saw a boy struggling to stay afloat in the surf off the Oregon coast.

The trained pool lifeguard jumped through the breakers and heavy swells to reach the boy in the ocean, reports KOIN-TV. Clark then calmed the boy and kept him afloat until watercraft arrived to take them to shore.

"I don't know exactly how big the swells were," Clark told the TV station, "but they were big enough to push both of us underwater—all the way down to where we were touching sand."

An ambulance came and took the 12-year-old boy, wrapped in a towel, and Clark—who complained of a headache—to the hospital.

Clark thought it was standard procedure until a few weeks later when he was shocked at the bill from the hospital.

The emergency room bill came to $449. The physician's bill was $227. The 15-mile ride in the ambulance was $1,907. The total bill for saving a young man's life was nearly $2,600.

"I had a feeling there would be a bill," Clark told the news station. "But I didn't know how much it would be, and I kind of feel bad for the fact that it's so expensive. But I couldn't just let the kid go—I had to do something."

He and his family are making arrangements to pay the bill.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may have heard the old saying that no good deed goes unpunished.... well, here is a perfect example. A lifeguard saves a young boy from drowning in the ocean surf and gets charged $2,600 for his own medical treatment... including a $1,907 bill for a 15 mile ambulance ride to the ER. What makes me mad is the fact that the 12 yr old kid he saved rode in the same ambulance.. and is probably being billed the same amount. Just legalized robbery!

I must have missed something here. The lifeguard did his job and did it well so kudos to him. Why should this entitle him to free health care? Did he not know the risks of his profession before he took the job? Was he forced to do it?

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fail. It's one thing to not act to save someone that needs it, but it's quite another to fail to act when it's YOUR JOB that you are being compensated for. Don't want the risk? Don't take the job.

Touchy much? I was kidding... On the other side, don't you know nobody is responsible for anything anymore? Unless it offends someone of course.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I must have missed something here. The lifeguard did his job and did it well so kudos to him. Why should this entitle him to free health care? Did he not know the risks of his profession before he took the job? Was he forced to do it?

So should cops and military be treated the same when they need to be treated? Would the cops/ military insuarance be billed or the department cover the charges? Atleast the lifegaurds employer should help on the bill.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So should cops and military be treated the same when they need to be treated? Would the cops/ military insuarance be billed or the department cover the charges? Atleast the lifegaurds employer should help on the bill.

I can't speak for the police, but as a military member I can tell you that part of our compensation is an outstanding medical benefits package. The healthcare benefits are a HUGE recruiting/retention tool. Part of the decision on whether or not to take any job should be a thorough review of the compensation offered.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fail. It's one thing to not act to save someone that needs it, but it's quite another to fail to act when it's YOUR JOB that you are being compensated for. Don't want the risk? Don't take the job.
I read the story as a pool lifeguard that saved a kid in the ocean. I don't think the lifeguard was on duty or at his job. If he were on duty, it would be a worker's comp claim.

Latest posts

Top Bottom