Ohio has made hidden compartments in your vehicle a felony.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...rugs-or-illegal-items-so-why-was-he-arrested/

He had nothing in the compartment, no money, drugs or guns.

“Without the hidden compartment law, we would not have had any charges on the suspect,” Lt. Michael Combs, of the State Highway Patrol, said.

Personally I would like to have a hidden compartment in my truck, Someplace I could secure money, papers or firearms.
It would make me a lot happier when I lock my gun in my truck to enter someplace where I cannot take my firearm.

I cannot understand how this law could possibly be constitutional.

The idea that the compartments could be used to smuggle drugs i UNDERSTAND, the identical reasoning could be used to make driving a vehicle a felony as both are used by drug smugglers to transport illegal drugs.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the text of the law. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.241

It's not a felony to simply have a hidden compartment. It's a felony if they can prove intent to traffic drugs OR if you have a prior conviction for drug trafficking. I'm betting the guy they grabbed matches that part.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the text of the law. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.241

It's not a felony to simply have a hidden compartment. It's a felony if they can prove intent to traffic drugs OR if you have a prior conviction for drug trafficking. I'm betting the guy they grabbed matches that part.

Good info!

Hidden compartment including the body compartments? LOL..

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of vehicles have hidden compartments, like late 90s-early-aughts Chevy trucks cup holders pop out of the console and there's some space underneath, lots of interior trim pieces pop out to expose wiring and you have extra space in there. All you gotta do is look, if hiding something small you can pop out an air vent and stick it in there. A metal box and strong magnets work good for under the body, also in some older vehicles you can pull the carpet up a little to hide something.

Just throwing that out there

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ohioans For Concealed Carry fought this one big time, since at one point, the proposed code would have made any compartment a felony, and the old CCW code required a locked compartment for storage. Not sure why they need the hidden compartment code. Transportation of drugs is already illegal. A hidden compartment doesn't make it more illegal. Sigh. But "one more law will fix it...."

Latest posts

Top Bottom