Only YOU Can Protect Net Neutrality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
again ... the lowest speed for broadband is about 1.5mb sec ... whereas about 100 to 150kb/s (.8 to 1.3mb sec) is needed for streaming video to deliver content without stopping. or level of service consumer is already paying for.

Your math is pretty far off. Also, you don't need that much for streaming video (depending on your acceptable video quality). And unless you have an SLA in place that has teeth, you're not paying your ISP for any guarantee of service.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're not well informed.
The FCC proposal would loosen existing regulations rather than tighten them.

You would have been for it before you were against it.
It's not a hard concept -- I'm against anyone using force or threats thereof to limit what terms other people agree to in contracts. I've never been for net neutrality and I am certainly not now.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your math is pretty far off. Also, you don't need that much for streaming video (depending on your acceptable video quality). And unless you have an SLA in place that has teeth, you're not paying your ISP for any guarantee of service.

good catch .. forgot to state those numbers are for high quality video ..I've gotten by with about 60kb/s for lower quality streams
now I'm getting a miserable 585k down 117k up

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Google Fiber’s latest FCC filing is Comcast’s nightmare come to life
January 1, 2015

google-fiber-sign-2.jpg

What’s every incumbent ISP’s worst nightmare? If we had to guess, it looks something like the filing that Google just made with the Federal Communications Commission. As The Wall Street Journal reports, Google this week told the FCC that reclassifying broadband providers under Title II of the Telecommunications Act would have a big side benefit for Google Fiber because it would give Google Fiber the same access to utility poles and other key infrastructure currently enjoyed by Comcast, AT&T and other big-name ISPs.

RELATED: Watch a man weep tears of joy when he finds out he’s getting Google Fiber

In particular, Google tells the FCC that it’s had trouble gaining access to some utility poles, ducts, conduits and rights of way while it’s been rolling out Google Fiber. If it were regulated more like a utility, Google Fiber would be given access to these pieces of infrastructure, which would make it much cheaper and easier to build out its high-speed fiber network in new markets.

“Pole access is fundamental and Google will never be able to make the case for Google Fiber without pole access,” former FCC chairman Reed Hundt tells the Journal. “If Title II gives Google pole access, then it might really rock the world with broadband access.”

So to recap: Title II reclassification would not only slap ISPs with regulations they don’t want to deal with but it would also open the door for Google Fiber in more markets. If that’s not Comcast’s worst nightmare, I don’t know what is.
Related stories
Video: Google tells Austin, Texas why it's going to love Google Fiber
The next city to get Google Fiber may have just been revealed
Finally: Starbucks Wi-Fi that doesn't suck, thanks to Google Fiber

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/google-fiber-latest-fcc-filing-comcast-nightmare-come-161549827.html

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That part baffles me....one company foots the bill to set poles and install duct banks, but should be forced to share that infrastructure with their competition?

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More NN bs. We should force everyone to use one provider, only allow physical access in the right of way to one company , and force every other company out of that particular market. That will shut Google up real quick.

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That part baffles me....one company foots the bill to set poles and install duct banks, but should be forced to share that infrastructure with their competition?

Most poles are owned by OG&E and other utilities pay a attachment agreement, usually a $1-2/pole/year. If OG&E needs to replace the pole it is arranged with the other utilities. Google is just asking to be classified as a utility so that it can also negotiate pole attachment agreements and have access to utility right of way's.

My parents lived in Kansas City (a suburb actually) and were just outside of the available area for Google Fiber. I heard stories of people that paid $500 one time fee for lifetime 1Gb connection to the internet. I would do that in a heartbeat!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The way it reads is that if Google gets classified as a utility, then pole/infrastructure owners have to give them access. Not without compensation of course, but I can't support another company being forced to provide another company access to infrastructure (not just poles) that they installed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom