Only YOU Can Protect Net Neutrality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend of mine works at OG&E doing some type of planning and forecasting, during our many discussions about OG&E and their monopoly in OKC he always told me that "the poles belong to the rate payers". I never asked him to clarify on that much further.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend of mine works at OG&E doing some type of planning and forecasting, during our many discussions about OG&E and their monopoly in OKC he always told me that "the poles belong to the rate payers". I never asked him to clarify on that much further.

Well, when the electricity flows one direction the poles belong to OGE and when the electricity flows the opposite direction the poles belong to the ratepayer.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-electric...r-solar-wind-energy-producers/article/4083525

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, at the core of it the government is still forcing one company to share it's resources...just because we like the end result, cheap and/or highspeed internet, doesn't make it right. If OG&E wants to sell space on their poles or Cox wants to sell space in a ductbank, that should be up to them.

My neighbor has a bitchin' panel truck that I could use for my electrical install business and I could charge cheaper rates if I was able to use it. Doesn't make sense to have two panel trucks in my neighborhood and I don't want to buy one anyway so I want Uncle Same to force him to rent it to me whenever I want it...

your example is not even close to the same .. poles are installed in right of way easements belonging to property owners both public and private. in some instance it would be possible to install parallel poles. but in most instances there's simply not enough room within defined easements to allow two or more sets of poles. so even if say Google is willing to spend the $$$ necessary to install poles in an entire city .. it's simply not possible due to easement restrictions.

this is why google should be treated like other utility. for example the cable company piggy backs on OG&E poles in Tulsa. this is not free as the cable company has to pay for rights to use poles. but those prices are controlled to prevent OG&E from limiting access to the cable company.

on another note .. AT&T is wanting to drop support for DSL lines in favor of fiber. it's not a secret AT&T has been wanting to drop support for copper lines. sure don't want to downgrade to fiber .. during bad storms batteries that support fiber infrastructure only are good for so many hours vs copper wires for land lines and DSL keeps right on trucking. during the last few bad ice storms with power out in Tulsa, my land lines and DSL were on the entire time.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
during bad storms batteries that support fiber infrastructure only are good for so many hours vs copper wires for land lines and DSL keeps right on trucking. during the last few bad ice storms with power out in Tulsa, my land lines and DSL were on the entire time.

Around here they have natgas generators built onto the AT&T and Cox nodes.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thursday, January 15, 2015
Join us in a final push for net neutrality! It's as easy as calling (858) WHEELER

This is quite a way to mark the one-year anniversary of court decision undermining Net Neutrality rules. When the FCC started writing new rules, Title II reclassification, which is the only real way to protect net neutrality for generations to come, was not even being discussed. Then the internet got involved. We took something that everyone considered impossible and made it nearly inevitable.

You set the record for FCC comments when millions of you wrote in about Net Neutrality. I've made a number of trips to DC over the last year for this fight and spoken to Congresspeople on both sides of the aisle -- your voices matter. They made the difference in defeating SOPA & PIPA and they will make the difference in preserving Net Neutrality.

I'm so proud of how reddit has led the fight for Title II and now we need one more push.

We're expecting the FCC to issue a new rule on Net Neutrality on February 26th and we need to be sure that Congress hears from us so they don't get any bad ideas to overturn the FCC's decision.

I've gone all over the United States talking about the importance of the open internet and what a difference millions of Americans (many of you) made in thwarting SOPA & PIPA -- now the internet needs you again. Demand Progress, Fight For The Future, Free Press Action Fund, and reddit have partnered around today's push: Battle For The Net.

All you have to do is enter your phone number.
Or, just for today, you can call (858) WHEELER or (858) 943-3537.

Tell your members of Congress & the FCC how you feel -- if you do it between 3pm and 6pm Eastern today, afterwards you'll be connected to me for a personal thank you on behalf of all of us at reddit.

Seriously. I'm sitting at my desk for three hours, waiting for your calls so I can give you a quick verbal upvote and thank you for being an awesome citizen and member of #TeamInternet.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
on another note .. AT&T is wanting to drop support for DSL lines in favor of fiber. it's not a secret AT&T has been wanting to drop support for copper lines. sure don't want to downgrade to fiber .. during bad storms batteries that support fiber infrastructure only are good for so many hours vs copper wires for land lines and DSL keeps right on trucking. during the last few bad ice storms with power out in Tulsa, my land lines and DSL were on the entire time.

That is amazingly wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom