Open carry weapons, holsters & license display!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget to throw a few pictures in of your actual open carry holster & weapon that you plan to use. Give people a idea of what is out there in the way of holsters and how they would look when being worn openly with a weapon.

Mine is in the first post.. A Glock 23 w/ CT laser in a Blackhawk Serpa holster.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, maybe the mudslinging is over, maybe not, I say take it to a different thread. I'll gladly produce my ID whenever needed, no sweat. As for the original poster, I'd like to see some OC rigs, which is why I came to this thread.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The fact is some leo's are going to give lawful responsible gun owners a hard time and they have absolutly no reason to stop everyone and if they say otherwise they're lying,the fact is that lawful citizens who decide to"open carry" will do it because it's they're right to make the decision to either CC or OC, criminals usually conceal their weapons. In 2006 the FBI did a study called "Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers" by Anthony Pinizzotto revealed that criminals carefully conceal their firearms, and they eschew the use of holsters. and I also would like to know Glock 'em down if someone is sitting in a Restaurant eating with an open firearm do you approach and ask for ID ? I do work in oklahoma sometimes so when I'm there I always carry, I also worked in Virginia and the leo's have a different approach with OC, they see you and they usually keep doing what they were doing, I did ask one trooper while I was in a wendy's why he didn't ID me and his response to me was he has never asked for an ID from a person OC'ing and it be from someone who shouldn't be so usually he won't ask.

As far as the IDing process goes, I can't speak for all other LEOs out there, but I personally will treat it with the same officer discretion and gray area as I do anything else. If a guy looks like an upstanding citizen, chances are I'll leave him alone. But as statistics (and 23 years of LE experience) goes, other people in the restaurant will come tell me about the "man with the gun" and then I will have to act on it.

A

alcarlsonjr

As far as the IDing process goes, I can't speak for all other LEOs out there, but I personally will treat it with the same officer discretion and gray area as I do anything else. If a guy looks like an upstanding citizen, chances are I'll leave him alone. But as statistics (and 23 years of LE experience) goes, other people in the restaurant will come tell me about the "man with the gun" and then I will have to act on it.

I agree it's your job, I have 2 son's who are leo's and they tell me the same thing people complain man with a gun they respond, as people get to understanding the OC law then most of the "man with a gun" complaints go down, a lot of people are misinformed or just don't read about OC.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The law doesnt mandate an officer to check ID... but if he asks you shall comply.

GED... you work in and many of us live in- small towns. If you check me every day at the coffee shop I'd think that is a little above and beyond...maybe even have a chat with your boss.

In places that have OC a couple of things evolve. Dispatchers learn to screen calls... officer's learn to watch people before they confront. It' called common sense and good police work. After a while you figure out what normal is,even with open guns in the mix and you move on to the next event.

You guys still tail every fast red car in town--- in case he speeds? LOL

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that something they are required to show when they present the badge? If I am approached by someone who claims to be LEO and they flash a badge without the ID should I run......lol j/k about the running. But seriously what is the way to ask LEO to present their ID?

Just say "Hey, I didn't get a good look at that, would you show it to me again?"

If they really are an officer, it shouldn't be a problem.

jmtgsx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll play.

www.myhostedpics.com_images_jmtgsx_1002414.jpg

More here. http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?146350-Fun-with-leather

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fact is that officers are not required in statute to check for an ID. A city or department may adopt their own policy to require officers to check or not. The problem with the ID checks is that although allowed by Oklahoma statute, unless there is suspicion a crime has been/is being/is about to be committed, they are unconstitutional by Supreme Court rulings.

I have already heard people say they will comply with officers and show them their IDs, and also ask the officers name and badge number to file a civil rights complaint. Eventually people will get tired of filing complaints and file a 4A violation lawsuit against the department and eventually the city/department will have to pay (based upon supreme court rulings).

OKOCA will be working with the Oklahoma Association of Chiefs of Police to try and develop suggested policies for departments so officer safety can still be considered, but the rights of law abiding citizens are not violated. We have also had discussions with the Oklahoma Association of Municipal Attorneys in hopes that city attorneys will realize the potential for 4A violations as well.

One reason I'm not a fan of having my information in a tag like the OP posted is because of camera phones. Yes it is hard to read, but snap a pic as you walk by with a phone in your hand and you can figure it out later. Something similar that is kept in a front pocket might not be a bad idea though.

Also to keep this on topic here is the requested pic:

View attachment 22593

Latest posts

Top Bottom