Open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For all the people that are against open carry, Do they not realize it wasnt realy that long ago that you could legaly do that in Oklahoma? Before the ccw it was still legal. So this isnt that old of an issue. It is mearly correcting what shouldnt have happened a while back.

Im all for it, but probably wouldnt do it on a daily basis

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personaly find no comfort knowing that if my life, or the lives my loved ones are in danger from some criminal or psycho with only SECONDS to spare, the police are MINUTES away!

Though I appreciate the hard work that police officers offer to the community, they can't be everywhere at once and chances are that none will be around if I am ever confronted by someone dangerous enough to justify lethal force. It is completely unrealistic to think that the police can/will protect you all the time.

Heck, even the supreme court has ruled that the police have absolutley no duty to defend individuals.

When I am armed, I put myself on at least an even footing with the guy trying to hurt either myself or my family. Why would ANYONE want to deny me that right to adequately defend myself? The framers of the constitution understood that. Many other states understand that. Even my 4 year old son understands that. Why can't the Oklahoma Legislature understand that?

The argument against open carry makes no sense to me. I passed the background checks to get my CC license. That makes me a fine, upstanding citizen in the eyes of the law. If I can carry concealed, why shouldn't I be able to carry out in the open? I'm actually a little safer that way. The draw is quicker from a good belt holster over an IWB. Gets back to that "when seconds count" thing.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For all the people that are against open carry, Do they not realize it wasnt realy that long ago that you could legaly do that in Oklahoma? Before the ccw it was still legal. So this isnt that old of an issue. It is mearly correcting what shouldnt have happened a while back.

Im all for it, but probably wouldnt do it on a daily basis

Not according to the courts... http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=38162

ETA: 21 O.S. 1272 in 1995, according to the enrolled version of SB3 in 1995:

"It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his person, or in his portfolio or purse any pistol, revolver, dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, except as an unloaded firearm in a locked container and otherwise provided in this article. Provided further, that this section shall not prohibit the proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes, nor shall this section be construed to prohibit the carrying or any use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute. Any person convicted of violating the foregoing provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable as provided in Section 1276 of this title."

21 O.S. 1278:

"Any person in this state who carries or wears any deadly weapons or dangerous instrument whatsoever, openly or secretly, with the intent or for the avowed purpose of unlawfully injuring another person, upon conviction, shall be guilty of a felony. The mere possession of such a weapon or dangerous instrument, without more, however, shall not be sufficient to establish intent as required by this section."

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to be a party pooper... the some of the arguments offered on this forum sound like the horse poo you hear up in Chicago and New York.

We have a ton of laws that define crime... and not enough laws that protect our rights to self defense as it is.

More than a few Oklahomans have no business with a SDA card based on their marksmanship skills and gifts of situational awareness... they present as big a public danger as a equally gifted nitwit toting an un- covered gun.Those who have a need to carry open should be able to do that.

I cross the county road to open a gate often. I'd hate to go to jail carrying a Colt a horseback or on the ATV... as Oklahoma law is today- I am in violation when that happens.
Heck... even Michigan has figured out that they need to lighten up. Open carry has been the law for years... and the ATTY GEN has stopped backing local courts and PD's that want to stop lawful carry in all but the Metro areas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom