Pond Algae

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassin'ForLife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, this year has been especially bad. Out back of my house, our HOA owns a pond. Its probably 1/4-1/2 acre, and fills with rain/drainage. In the spring and fall, and of course winter, there isn't much that grows, but in the summer, we get massive clusters of yellow/golden-brown/green algae. Its gotten to the point where the pond surface is probably 70-80% covered. After doing a little reading, its apparently caused by lots of fertilzer/lawn treatment chemicals, and little aeration. Anyone know what we might be able to do to treat it? Our HOA pays to stock the pond and keep fish in it, but its almost unusable. I've been told that water plants will help oxygenate the pond, but would that be a better solution, than say, a windmill aerator setup? If so what sort of plants?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer Slayer will be along shortly. I really don't know why he goes by the nick name Deer Slayer it should be Pond Manager and Aeration consultant. Lol just funning you Deer Slayer. He can help you out tremendously, but if its a HOA it will probably require HOA approval for any work to be done.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bassin'forlife- I am a water and wastewater consultant. If you have seen the aerators working at Dolese Park or Edwards Park in Okla City or the pond in front of the MWC Lowe's, Steak an Shake etc then you have seen my work. I have installed all of the aeration systems in the close to home fisheries that is a cooperative effort between City of OKC and ODWC. The pond can be saved with the addition of aeration. I will need to inspect the pond and then call a HOA meeting to discuss what the options are. If this is something that is of interest to the HOA then please send me a PM. I can fix it.

Bassin'ForLife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate it. I have been in touch with the HOA president, and he wanted me to gather some options for him so we could discuss it at our next meeting. Let me give him a shout and see what he says. Thanks for the response!

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For immediate removal of your algae check into a product called Cutrine Plus. It's an algaecide/herbicide safe for other aquatic plants, fish, and animals. Used in fish hatcheries, stock tanks, etc. I managed a 6 acre lake for a HOA for about 8 years that had algae problem. After Cutrine Plus was applied algae was gone in a few days. Controlled it from then on with grass carp and floating fountain. I applied the Cutrine Plus with a pump up garden sprayer letting droplets fall like rain on the mats of algae. Very easy to use. Dyed blue so you can see where you've applied.

Adding water plants may exacerbate your problem as algae feeds on the plant waste. And yes, it is also feeding off of nutrients (fertilizer) that is running into pond.

You can sell your homeowners on the aerating fountain by promoting it as an appealing water feature. Most people like a nice fountain.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Copper Sulfate is the main component of Cutrine Plus and costs a lot less. Just dissolve it in water and apply to the pond. This will heal your algae problem pretty quick. You should be able to get it at your local Co-Op. I have even seen it at Atwoods from time to time.

If the pond has fish in it then be very careful about how much of the pond you treat each time. Treat the pond in thirds and you won't have to worry to much about all the dead algae breaking down and robbing all the oxygen out of the pond as it decomposes. Late summer can be a pretty tough time to try and deal with problems in a pond because the critters that live in it tend to be stressing a bit already.

As stated about, aeration helps to keep a pond turning over and oxygenated.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Using dyes, cutrine plus and a few other compounds do work, but you are just treating the symptoms and not the underlying problem. The longer you treat the symptoms the more money you spend until eventually you have to address the problem. It is cheaper in the long run to fix it with today's dollars than wait for a few years when the costs are higher.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Using dyes, cutrine plus and a few other compounds do work, but you are just treating the symptoms and not the underlying problem. The longer you treat the symptoms the more money you spend until eventually you have to address the problem. It is cheaper in the long run to fix it with today's dollars than wait for a few years when the costs are higher.

The underlying problem will never be cured as it will not be in most residential ponds. There will always be fertilizer type things draining in to them. However, I agree that aeration will help a good bit but I also know that using copper sulfate when needed is also a great plan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom