Question for Hunters: Do any of you process the meat and tan your hides?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yep, I'm interested in learning how to do the whole thing myself. My ancestors would be ashamed seeing me pay a butcher. I figured as long as I'm skinning it, I might as well do the hides. Am I biting off more than I can chew? Any recommended reading?

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The sticky note right at the top of the hunting forum talks about tanning hides. There is a lot on the internet about it too. It is work and it is cheap to get it done. I would rather pay someone. I do butcher my own meat at times but usually just save the backstraps for steak and grind all the rest.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Processing them is a family affair. Dad gets the deer (we won't go there :censored: ...atleast the first one, he has extremely good luck), I generally skin and quarter and cut out the back straps and loins, and mother, a non-hunter, does the sorting de-boning, grinding, steaking ect so that the fat trimming and no hair is kept to her (the cooks) standard. So everyone is involved that time of year does their share. Makes for a bit of pridefullness (sp?) knowing you all did it together.

As for the hide, i started one and its still in the freezer needing to be finished with the fleshing. not hard just takes time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I processed my own for many years. Pretty simple, backstraps and loins into steak, and grind the rest.

Change wife's (22 years ago), and it goes to the processor.

Her dad made her kill a sheep she had raised, showed, and fed daily. Then made her cut it up and put it in white butcher paper.
8 years old.

We haven't bought ground meat in 22 years, but any deer in white paper won't get past her.
She will eat ground backstrap, but not a backstrap steak.
I gave up a long time ago and do what I have to do to keep it good for her.

I still use my grinders to make sausage, etc that I eat and take to work for the guys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom