Recommend an AK ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the same as AR's guys. It has to start as a pistol or an unbuilt receiver that is made to a pistol. A receiver made into a pistol first can spend it's time as a pistol and be switched to a rifle and back. However, a receiver that starts as a rifle CANNOT be made into a pistol.

mike sweeney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the same as AR's guys. It has to start as a pistol or an unbuilt receiver that is made to a pistol. A receiver made into a pistol first can spend it's time as a pistol and be switched to a rifle and back. However, a receiver that starts as a rifle CANNOT be made into a pistol.

Thx for clarifing that for me Aestus!

Plus I personally have never seen any kind of AK stock that requires no tools to remove. Might be wrong just my personal experiance.

Thelastdaze its a buyers market out there so be patient and youll find a good deal.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh I'm going to take my time alright, I just spent the money on another 100yo .22....:eek:

I know these threads have probably been beaten to death but, keep them coming.!!

It will give me plenty to brush up on, and I will have more time now and find something else to sell to fund it...

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wanting a first AK, I've been reading and obsessing for a couple weeks now. What I summarized is that the Century Arms Yugo rifles had problems in the past mostly related to the way they milled out the imported single stack receiver/bolt. Now they come with a proper double stack bolt and the modifications Century from the original Zastava build are minimal and are of better quality. They get a US made Tapco trigger, US handgrip, and a few other minor compliance tweaks. I've even read the recent owner's reviews saying their WSAR imports were getting better. Most seem to agree that the Serbian Zastava built guns are tighter and a better build quality than the Romanian WSAR but the difference is subjective and the new WSARs run just fine. Also the WSAR uses standard parts which means if you are going to mod the crap out of it, the WSAR will give you more options. Other recent posts are saying with the volume of pap rifles no one the market, the after-market is coming up for them.

So I (just last night) decided on an npap. npap is just "new" pap while opap is just "original" pap and it looks more like a classic AK. It looks a little different than the standard AK (no bayonet lug, longer stock with higher comb and slightly different shape on the hand grips being the most notable). The npap uses thinner receiver material than the opap which uses an RPK style receiver. The numbers vary but the npap receiver has a ~1mm receiver while the the opap uses a 1.6mm receiver. The opap also has a bulge pressed into the front trunion that is reported to add strength in that area. The thicker material and bulged trunion are said to be to provide better support for grenade launching duty. The additional material results in a weight difference of 1.4lbs (npap is 7.7lbs and opap is 9.1lbs). In reviewing feedback of actual shooters who own both, there is no quality/reliability difference between the npap and opap rifles. The opap typically comes with surplus furniture that looks surplus. This is typically more of a positive than a negative because it "looks" like an AK should look. The npap appears to use fresh furniture. I don't recall if the opap stock mounts like a standard AK or like an npap but the npap uses a long bolt into the back of the receiver rather than the more traditional tang. Neither have chrome lined barrels but I've read that for most who own it, they don't shoot enough corrosive ammo to matter. If they do, they clean it immediately. There is more but this is just what I remember off the top of my head so ymmv.

I ordered the npap because it was lighter and has been reviewed to be a high quality build that needs nothing to run right reliably. I don't intend to mod this one so availability of aftermarket parts isn't a big issue for me. I will say, having now gone through this exercise, I understand why people have more than one! Hope this helps.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a century c39 centurion. It was a decent rifle. I did however have problems with magazines and rounds going into battery. If it was me I would get a wasr. Yes they are cheap but you can put more money into making it the way you want. Just check the sights. I know on the opap I think, that it takes different furniture than most. Only polish. And I can't remember if it is the one that has a different mag. Good luck. I am thinking of getting another AK pretty soon. Wasr is the way I will probably go. Or an under folder.

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I ordered a Vepr from classicfirearms.com about a month ago. I know they are banned now but you can still get one from there or Atlantic arms. Its the first AK I own and I am glad I bought it. I have herd of issues with fit and finish on cheaper AK's mine was around 700 after shipping, but this Vepr is smooth all the way around. It even has the RPK thicker style receiver.

The accuracy is great, for me any way. I shot it at 100 yards with open sights off hand and put 5 shots I could cover up with my fist. I am wanting to put a RDS on it and see how it does.

Vepr should be considered for sure.

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
SAR is a good Yugo, I had a WASR, it was all right too, to be honest I haven't had a crappy AK ever, MAK 90 is good, even a stock Saiga is a good shooting rifle

Latest posts

Top Bottom