Retroactive pay for govt workers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, both working and not working federal employees will be paid. The non-working just got a free vacation, but it's not exactly free, at least from an emotional point of view.

I desperately argued to be furloughed. I even offered to be in a non-paid status without back pay once the government restarts. Simply put, I didn't want to be at work during the event. It's a terrible place to be during a shutdown and nothing positive comes of it. Morale is nonexistent. THE MOST expensive thing in government is a shutdown, in more ways than one. :(

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pay them and charge them vacation/sick time.

There is some question as to whether some of us who are forced to work, but then take "intermittent furlough" time will be required to claim annual or sick leave when the .gov resumes "normal" operations. In the unlikely event the shutdown continues into the 4th week of October, I will fall into that category for 16 hours. I told them it didn't matter to me as long as I got paid, but it does call into question providing a "freebie" to some .gov workers but not others. :(

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is for essential personnel, whoever decides what/who that is, is a good question. My buddy does IT for the federal courts and is considered essential. He will be getting back pay plus a bonus for continuing to work without a paycheck during this "shutdown."

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is for essential personnel, whoever decides what/who that is, is a good question. My buddy does IT for the federal courts and is considered essential. He will be getting back pay plus a bonus for continuing to work without a paycheck during this "shutdown."

Is he a contractor or an actual .gov employee? I have no inside track on hoe the judicial branch does payouts, but we're certainly not going to get any bonus for working without pay under the administrative branch.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He is a .gov employee. Last I talked to him about it he said he will get pay and a set bonus per day for working during the shutdown. After re-reading my last post I am uncertain whether he is getting a paycheck or back pay after the shutdown. I could verify....maybe later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom