Rural Oklahoma: How far do you drive for groceries?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m working on a story about rural communities that are considered food deserts, and I want to know: How far do you drive for groceries?

I grew up in a rural community about 12 miles from a Walmart. If we wanted something quick — milk, bread or eggs, for example — we went to a convenience store about two miles away.

I bet there are plenty of Oklahomans who can beat me in the distance they drive to the grocery store.

Thirty-two of Oklahoma’s 77 counties are classified as food deserts, meaning that at least 25 percent of their population lives 10 miles or more from a supermarket or supercenter, according to this report.

Based on this map (which is a bit dated) nine counties in Oklahoma are considered severe food deserts:

i479.photobucket.com_albums_rr155_OldFart_57_FoodMap_zps44fb430a.jpg

You can see what kind of food access your community has via this map from the U.S. Department of Food and Agriculture.
As this report points out:

“As retail food stores get ever larger, with traditional mom-and-pop grocery stores and supermarkets being replaced by ‘warehouse clubs’ and ‘supercenters,’ food sources are literally getting fewer and farther between.

This trend in the retail food industry has been evident for over a decade. Between 1992 and 1997, 9 percent of the grocery stores in Oklahoma went out of business.

From then until 2002, urban Oklahoma counties gained a total of 15 new food retail stores — but the state as a whole lost 28 food stores, overwhelmingly from less-populated counties.

As smaller and more remote food stores close up shop, warehouse clubs and supercenters are taking their places. The number of these doubled during that same time period, from 26 in 1997 to 52 in 2002. Most of these are opening in suburban fringes of Oklahoma’s largest urban centers.”

http://newsok.com/rural-oklahoma-how-far-do-you-drive-for-groceries/article/3992526

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can drive 7 miles to the nearest grocery store. However, if I'm spending more than $20 I can come out ahead on raw cost driving 22 miles. If I need to buy just about anything but groceries, I come out ahead driving 22 miles. Additionally, some of the drive time is made up by using the self checkout. I'm not counting the missed opportunity cost of the drive time because I view short drives like that as a great way to relax and reset.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
13 miles to a grocery store, 7 miles to a convenience store. Not sure how they got Major and Garfield counties as non food deserts. Garfield county consists of the towns of Douglas, Covington, Garber, Hunter, Kremlin, Breckinridge, Fairmont, Bison, Waukomis, Drummond, Lahoma, Carrier, Hillsdale, and Enid........Enid is the only town with grocery stores. Fairview and Ringwood are the only towns with grocery stores in Major Co.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 mile to a M&P grocery store for urgent need / quick fill items (milk, etc.). Bulk of grocery shopping is 30 miles with 2 trips a month. Like VM, we make this a day trip / reset / relax to include a movie and dinner, we also include Academy, Tractor Supply, Lowe's, and Hobby Lobby to make it a full day and a FULL truck.

As far as food dessert, the M&P is the only grocery store / non-convenience store in the county; it is centrally located in the county making the supermarket trip 30 miles or less for everyone in the county.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I drive 5 miles to Countryboy for groceries and 5 miles to convenience store. There is a Dollar store closer but I won't shop there.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 miles to the grocer in town. 12 miles to the walmart which has cheaper prices. I hate wall mart so I keep my money local and pay a little more.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To consider 10 miles as a dividing line seems a little silly to me. Driving 12 or even 15 miles to a big grocery store once every couple weeks just doesn't seem like a hardship.

Anyway, I live 1.5 miles from a pretty well equiped convenience store and just under 10 miles from a Country Boy. However, most of the groceries are from TAFB. Go there every 2 weeks. It's 15 to 16 miles away.

I have relatives that live in town. Most of them live probably one to three miles from a Walmart or grocery store. I would bet a months pay they burn up more gas getting groceries than I do. They all seem to go to the store every 2 or 3 days. Sometimes 2 and 3 days in a row. I think it's weird, but I guess you get "grocery lazy" when it seems so close and easy to get to.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 miles to the closest convenience store 7 miles to a grocery store. It doesn’t bother me, next time I move I plan to double those numbers at the very least. I will NEVER live inside city limits again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom