Rural Oklahoma: How far do you drive for groceries?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
13 miles to a grocery store, 7 miles to a convenience store. Not sure how they got Major and Garfield counties as non food deserts. Garfield county consists of the towns of Douglas, Covington, Garber, Hunter, Kremlin, Breckinridge, Fairmont, Bison, Waukomis, Drummond, Lahoma, Carrier, Hillsdale, and Enid........Enid is the only town with grocery stores. Fairview and Ringwood are the only towns with grocery stores in Major Co.

Pond Creek has a grocery store. Not big, but its there.

The only place to eat in Grant County is some fast food places in convience stores. Medford has a Mexican Restaurant, but anybody that has eaten there doesn't call it a restaurant.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Pond Creek and Medford have the only grocery stores in Grant County...............unless Wakita still does??? I've not tried the Mexican cafe in Medford, heard good and bad. Cafe in Nash and Pond Creek is pretty good.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
9 miles to the gas station 11 to reasors or walmart, my mother in law drives 25 miles and my wifes grandmother has to drive in to perryton texas to get groceries because its 2 miles closer than guymon.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost 4 miles until the nearest blacktop, 7'ish miles until the nearest gas station. The closest Wally world is around 30 miles away. I LOVE where I live and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
They put in a Dollar General a few miles north of where I live. Had never been in one before, but I'm a regular now. Milk, eggs, etc.

Betcha a dollar that they'll be putting in a "family dollar" soon, if they haven't already. They seem to be doing that in a lot of small towns. Kansas, Oklahoma (10 or so miles from here) they done that. I have heard that they are competing brothers, dollar general and family dollar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom