Shipping a Rifle USPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandintheusa

Marksman
Reaction score
What exactly is the law on shipping guns via us postal service?

I have a buddy that moved to South Dakota about a yr ago. He couldnt fit all of his stuff in his truck when he went. He left me with a couple of his guns to keep for him. He called me about 3 wks ago and asked me if I would ship his shotgun up there for him. I called the post office here in Tulsa and asked about their policy in shipping guns. They told me that they wont ship it unless its to an FFl dealer. This sounded really ignorant to me . My buddy has already filled out the 4473 and purchased the gun. The FFL is going to want a transfer fee to receive it and make him file another form also. IT'S ALREADY HIS DANG GUN, HE ALREADY FILLED THE PAPERWORK OUT FOR IT, HE OWNS IT OUTRIGHT.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been there and done that - received the same migraine. I hear guys in Tulsa say the Post Office will ship them without issues, but Collinsville and Oologah wouldn't. I'll avoid that gun-shipping BS at all costs now.

moguns

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a short form to fill out, check postal regs for number of form. The local PO keeps that for their records, very easy. Most POs are not familiar with all the regs. The only thing is that the firearm has to be sent to an ffl so you should have their license number. I've shipped handguns back to Dist. in the past but I had to explain the regs to the Pmaster and get the form needed. I'm a retired Postal employee but this is what I remember. I do not recommend lying about what is in the pkg, Postal Inspectors can get really nasty!

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last year there was a report about this postal worker that had been steeling for years. They showed all the property that he had stollen. It included many many fire arms to include a a large 50 cal bolt action rifle. Id recomended that you go with UPS

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
No problem. We've got some employees that need a little encouragement once in a while. Glad you finally got it sent, let's just hope we don't lose it now. 

Henry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember how friendly the USPS folks were before they decided they were not a governmental agency.Now it seems it is a contest to see who gets the "nastiest person" award. EVERY DAY !!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom