Should taxes pay taxes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What irritates me to no end is that I get a 1099 for receiving a tax refund for paying too much taxes and have to pay taxes on it cause it's considered income. AND, if I touch my retirement at all, it's an automatic 20% of the top for the feds.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget that we pay taxes on our income and then use what's left to pay more taxes on gasoline and tags and telephone and property.

I have had the idea several times that it would be interesting to try and figure out every single tax we pay in a year and determine exactly how much of our earnings we end up getting to actually have to ourselves. I gave up trying to figure out all of the hidden taxes that are in direct purchases of goods like gasoline and every detail of every bill you get for some utility or whatever... I probably don't really want to know anyway, it would just infuriate me.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget that we pay taxes on our income and then use what's left to pay more taxes on gasoline and tags and telephone and property.

I have had the idea several times that it would be interesting to try and figure out every single tax we pay in a year and determine exactly how much of our earnings we end up getting to actually have to ourselves. I gave up trying to figure out all of the hidden taxes that are in direct purchases of goods like gasoline and every detail of every bill you get for some utility or whatever... I probably don't really want to know anyway, it would just infuriate me.

Someone already did and after the first of the year if nothing changes the average will be around 50% tax rate. I will see if I still have a link to it.

EDIT: Not the piece I was looking for but it has most of the same info. I did not see gas tax. etc.

http://blog.heritage.org/2012/08/13/government-will-take-almost-half-your-paycheck-in-2013/

Latest posts

Top Bottom