So, whatcha like to do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'll be the first to bust this sub-forums cherry.

Some of my hobbies include, hunting, camping, fishing (fly, spin and saltwater), metal detecting - been awhile, surfing, snow skiing, leathercraft work and generally being out in the wilderness/woods.

Some of the things that are not hobbies but enjoy doing are yard work and home fixes/repairs, messing around and upgrading my Ram 2500 MC, coaching and being involved with my sons sports activities and teams, crossfit, shootin' ma' guns, and I love me a good road trip. We drive to just about any vacation destination so we look at road trips as part of the fun. Try to take the scenic roads if at all possible.

So, what do you like to do? List your hobbies and other fun stuff you and the family do. It may just us others interested in something new and different.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I got a bunch, but seems like not enough time to do ANY of 'em worth a damn.

Obviously shooting, building ARs, just gotten into reloading. Collecting guns a helluva more than shooting them. lol. I can't tell you how many I have right now that I haven't ever even fired, but it's well north of a dozen, probably. Hope to remedy that this spring/summer with my new range membership.

Cooking - smoking meat, cooking in the kitchen, too. Some baking, just started learning how to make my own biscuits, which is going ok. With the smoking, it's mostly pork, but done a little beef lately, too - some beef ribs and chuck roasts for chili and such.

Computers - like to build my own from parts, doing all the research on specific stuff and tailoring a new rig to my own needs/desires. Got into overclocking a little bit, even bought all the stuff to supercool my processor with liquid nitrogen, but never got around to it. Had a custom benching station made to basically mount an entire computer in an open-air wide open platform so you can keep it cool and do things like dry ice or LN2 for cooling. But again never actually got around to benching on anything other than air-cooling.

Car audio - big time in this one. I've gone so far as to build my own sub boxes and kickpanels from fiberglass. I don't do much of the install anymore, it's not worth my time to make myself crazy, lol. I got a guy I pay to do it and I "help" him, which means handing him tools, holding parts and BSing. :D But I'm big-time into car audio, got a massive aftermarket setup in my Tahoe and a very nice but not nearly as loud one in my Z - this one is hopefully going to get rebuilt to be much better this year.

Starting to get some bills paid off, I'm hoping I can cut back on work in the next year or two and spend more time with The Boy and on hobbies.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cars, computers, firearms. If I can't figure one of the three out it's probably not worth fixing, LOL. Just got done replacing the radiator in my pickup and have a couple amps for the speakers. Build my own computers and my server, getting the itch to upgrade to 10Gb network but have to wait a while. Built my AR starting with a stripped lower and stripped upper, can't wait to build out some more.

An odd one but love driving, long trips are a ton of fun for me. Getting the itch a lot here lately to just be gone for a week. Love the feel of cruising along just enjoying the road listening to some music. If I didn't have the musculoskeletal problems I do I would probably be driving over the road flatbed.

I am a gamer to a degree, the PS3 collects a lot of dust but I have some fun with computer games though to no degree of what I used to get into.

Starting to reload, some too. Have done about 200 rounds of 223 and have the dies to run it as well as .40 and .45 but need to get some 9mm dies and materials to load the pistol rounds.

I cook too. Need to make some chicken and sausage Jambalaya again. Banana bread, apple cinnamon bread, double butter rum raisin bread among other things from scratch. Cooked three turkey's over the winter season along with a couple hams and then turned a chunk of the leftovers into turkey and ham salad since the wife loves it. Found a great way to keep turkey moist too, brine in bourbon maple mix and then get pieces of thick sliced bacon and place it between the skin and the meat. The fat melts down and keeps the breasts extra moist and adds a little flavor. Really wanting to get a smoker but not much of a place to keep one, bouncing a design around that I can keep in the back of my pickup when I want to have access to it and easily put in a storage unit.

Building and rebuilding stuff, doesn't really matter what. Helped a guy figure out a boiler system for a building at one point. Place had to steam boilers that are each about the size of a train and cost a fortune to run. Got a much smaller single system with a little backup for outages put in and took out a steam to hot water exchanger in the process. Same place had issues with hot water for apartments and we were able to figure out a system using the same type of boiler on a much smaller scale to replace a 200 gallon tanks style system.

Have rebuilt cable headends that were a jumbled mess where a bunch of the equipment kept overheating and died in the summer months and made it a lot easier to work with. Then used a computer to create a TV guide channel using TitanTV and a automated scrolling addon. Before each receiver and modulator set were in separate cabinets and required a pair of lines to carry audio and video between them plus satellite feeds into each receiver and output feeds to a combiner for all the modulators. To say the place was a rats nest is an understatement, it honestly took up a ton of room and was a pain to work on. I came up with this:

files.ventshop.net_Pictures_Mypics_Headend3.JPG
files.ventshop.net_Pictures_Mypics_Headend6.JPG

I have also rebuilt old light fixtures that had paper as an insulator on the wires so they were safe to reuse again among other things. I guess an overall of my hobbies is I like to tinker with anything and everyone.

Oh and I almost forgot, I had a saltwater aquarium that I built the entire cabinet for at one point.

nacl_h2o.ventshop.net_sites_default_files_gallery_assist_1_gallery_assist5_prev_PICT0027.JPG

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have too many hobbies. Life is too short to plop down in front of the TV.

Shooting matches, Fishing, Hunting, playing pool, cooking BBQ, Helping around the Gun Club, building things with welding, machining, carpentry. I'd like to take up cow pasture pool as my dad called golf, but my wife says I have to drop one to take up another. Get me on the greens, and I'm deadly to the cup. Out of the T box, I have a terrible slice.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hunting, trapping, sporting clays, skeet, hunting with the kids, watching the kids play sports, cooking and 66'-77' Ford Broncos.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I enjoy collecting guns, especially the ones that appealed to me from my childhood memories.I like shooting, though I do not get out to do it nearly as much as I like. I really enjoying cozying up to my Remington 700 and shooting 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I enjoy getting my groups as small as possible. I also enjoy collecting silver, and I met my goal of 100 Troy ounces late last year. I also enjoy smoking cigars, though I enjoy the company of the men that I smoke it with at the Cigar Lounge more. I like my dogs (now we have 4!) and I enjoy going out to eat with my girlfriend. Engagement is on the horizon, so I've been ring shopping lately, though I wouldn't call that a hobby!

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do leatherwork as a hobby,,,
For many years it was my main income.

I put myself through a B.S. degree making gun leather and driftwood furniture.

I'm retiring in 821 days,,,
I'll probably fire it up again to supplement my income.

Other than that I read a lot of books and watch a lot of movies.

Aarond

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of hobbies. I work a goofy shift (Mon-Fri 3-11) so it's hard to live a "normal" life.

But I do enjoy working in the garden and growing my own veggies, cooking, especially on the grill, shooting (of course), riding my 4 wheeler and spending time with my family.

That grandson of mine (he's 5) wears me smooth out! :faint:

All in all, I'm a pretty boring individual.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty dull lately, but in the past I've skydived (25 jumps) owned a powered parachute, designed/built/flown a gyroplane, had a sand rail buggy, taken several dogs through different training courses, and spent a couple of years focusing on defensive firearms training (not so much in the last year or so). Lately I play with our dogs, do yard work (I'm trying to develop a green thumb), tinker in the shop, fish a little, and watch movies with the wife.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom