State Question 779. Penny tax for teachers raises by the numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the official petition www.sos.ok.gov/documents/questions/779.pdf
Here is the paper being sent out by the OEA

One penny will raise approximately 615 million.
86.33% is $427,425,000 which will go to the schools.
$210,000,000 of that will be for teacher raises.
19.25% will go for higher education (state colleges)$118,387,500
3.25% will go to career tech $19,987,500
8% will go to early childhood education $49,200,000

That's a few bucks going around in a "revolving fund"
Also, the qualified signatures are being paid for by a pact of Boren,Keiser and Moran. If an idea is a good one, why would you need to pay for signatures? There are dates and locations on the OEA website for classes to qualify you to get signatures for pay.

I have absolutely no issue with our teachers being paid a fair amount, but if your going to sell an idea for the teachers, them give it all to them or get a half cent and give them $8000!

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have all seen this bullshxit before, we did liquor by the drink, pony races and the lotto all for the children. When all these taxes went on sale in the mid 80's the peeps weren't starring down a 9.375 to 12% sales tax rate on the necessities of life. Hopefully voters will recognize this tax for what it is.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My fear is that the state will take money it raises out of the right pocket and give to school etc. Then out of left pocket they cut the same amount to the schools. Then preach how they gave the school the money and live with it. I am for teacher raise 100%, the kids are our future and need the education they deserve.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My fear is that the state will take money it raises out of the right pocket and give to school etc. Then out of left pocket they cut the same amount to the schools. Then preach how they gave the school the money and live with it. I am for teacher raise 100%, the kids are our future and need the education they deserve.
Just like it has been done in the past.

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the teachers... How about some of them school superintendents pony of parts of that salary that they are pulling down... And let's see where that lotto money is going.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any new revenue generation proposal is worthless unless they add a provision that prohibits the state govt from cutting general education appropriations by the same amount as the new revenue.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of points, first, this tax will be lock boxed by a state constitutional amendment.
Second the Higher-Ed part will help off set tuition for students. The state used to pay for about 50% of in-state tuition for students, that amount is down to about 16%, which actually hurts middle-class students.
Lastly, none of this can be used for superintendents pay, state law already locks in how much of state funds can be used for superintendents. The higher paid superintendents are paid for by the district, which is a local issue and not a state issue.

I did not see where you could be paid to collect signature for the ballot, please provide a direct link.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
This ballot does exactly what you are saying because it dictates exactly what it will fund, which is already not being funded.

Any new revenue generation proposal is worthless unless they add a provision that prohibits the state govt from cutting general education appropriations by the same amount as the new revenue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom