State Question 779. Penny tax for teachers raises by the numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait, I thought the lottery was going to fix all our education woes?

I will not be voting to increase my taxes....I don't really care how they paint the issue.

Americans, especially Oklahomans caught in the oil bust, are learning how to tighten their belts. Our governments need to do the same. I bet they can find $600M worth of fraud and waste to cut if this initiative is really important.

Last edited:

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are wrong, our in-state universities have always been tax supported.

I didn't know that. They sure do charge like they need money. I will be honest the few classes I took felt exactly like my senior year in highschool, teachers taught the same level, they made us by the books that they helped write, they got paid better than the highschool teachers, and they cared less about the students. Some peoples experiences may have been different but the English, history, science and math I took felt exactly like high school but not mandatory.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't looked into this petition, but it's quite common for organizations/supporters/PACs/etc. to pay people to collect petition signatures. Anyone that is trying to push a petition through, and can obtain funding to pay people, does exactly that.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
they don't need to pay anyone. they only need 124000 signatures, they have over 50000 in 8 days. just the number of teachers and their family members are more than enough, to get it on the ballot.
I was at a meeting tonight about this this state question, they had people lined up to volunteer to get signatures.
I will add that they were offering to pay people to collect signatures, but I cannot find it now. I do know that they did not offer anyone compensation for collecting signatures, tonight.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have asked several about state cutting money if tax is paid and not leave funds where they are and can't get an answer. Gas tax may be a bad way, if gas goes back up to $4.00 and people want taxes cut the schools would be obligated to the funds for salaries.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
they don't need to pay anyone. they only need 124000 signatures, they have over 50000 in 8 days. just the number of teachers and their family members are more than enough, to get it on the ballot.
I was at a meeting tonight about this this state question, they had people lined up to volunteer to get signatures.
I will add that they were offering to pay people to collect signatures, but I cannot find it now. I do know that they did not offer anyone compensation for collecting signatures, tonight.

http://oklahomacity.employmentguide...on-campaign-in-oklahoma-city-ok-10170443.html

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taxation lock boxes are out of favor, this sales tax will primarily effect those with lower incomes. It appears to be a end around tax on the less affluent, Why not sell Q779 for what it is? It's only a penny?

Actually, his reasoning is sound. "Lock boxes" don't work--remember the Social Security "lock box" from the last Clinton years? Sales taxes are fundamentally regressive; again, he's right there.

There are lots of good reasons to doubt this, not the least of which is the fact that the legislature has a habit of playing "in one pocket, out of the other." But that doesn't mean he's not right, honest, or genuine in what he's offered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom