State Question 779. Penny tax for teachers raises by the numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of points, first, this tax will be lock boxed by a state constitutional amendment.
Second the Higher-Ed part will help off set tuition for students. The state used to pay for about 50% of in-state tuition for students, that amount is down to about 16%, which actually hurts middle-class students.
Lastly, none of this can be used for superintendents pay, state law already locks in how much of state funds can be used for superintendents. The higher paid superintendents are paid for by the district, which is a local issue and not a state issue.

I did not see where you could be paid to collect signature for the ballot, please provide a direct link.

Taxation lock boxes are out of favor, this sales tax will primarily effect those with lower incomes. It appears to be a end around tax on the less affluent, Why not sell Q779 for what it is? It's only a penny?

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just say you don't like Q779 for whatever your real reason is. That way you would not have to make stuff up.

Taxation lock boxes are out of favor, this sales tax will primarily effect those with lower incomes. It appears to be a end around tax on the less affluent, Why not sell Q779 for what it is? It's only a penny?

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have much preferred a 10 cent increase to the gas tax. That would have brought us up to shouting distance from the national avg in that category. Less painful and paid by far more people that the penny sales tax. Lets see that would make our 1.39 gas become 1.49 which is still 7 cents lest than Missouri right now. :idea:

That said Ill vote for either one. The loss of quality candidates to replace baby boomers retiring from education right now in Oklahoma is going to be a disaster if the state continues its present pay scale.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not believe that a sales tax is a good way to fund anything, long term. However, what has a better chance of passing?

I would have much preferred a 10 cent increase to the gas tax. That would have brought us up to shouting distance from the national avg in that category. Less painful and paid by far more people that the penny sales tax. Lets see that would make our 1.39 gas become 1.49 which is still 7 cents lest than Missouri right now. :idea:

That said Ill vote for either one. The loss of quality candidates to replace baby boomers retiring from education right now in Oklahoma is going to be a disaster if the state continues its present pay scale.

Latest posts

Top Bottom