State Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
which is still stupid. Missouri was fantastic, go into a grocery store and you could get everything you needed for the party that night. No additional trips to the liquor store needed since it was right there on the shelves.
I totally agree. There is a lot of competition in prices between stores. One has to be a good shopper and you'll find a bargain. A 2 liter of Windsor Canadian sells for $19-$22 in Ok at our local liquor stores.
It can be bought for $12.80 at the Walmart in Branson Mo. The shop rite grocery store next door has the same for $16. The grocery store does offer free sampling on occasion.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Problem is you're just tipping the scales in the favor of Walmart. They would have no hourly restrictions on sales, whereas a liquor store would. They can also have anyone under 21 in their store, liquor store cannot. They will allow liquor stores to sell ancillary products but limit their total sales. Walmart and others.... nope.

The problem with this law is that it was bought and paid for by Walmart, Reasors, and QT.
There are restrictions to liquor sales in Missouri. At the Walmart they have a cage to block the aisles during what ever times they have for their sales. Don't know what times they have but we have been in there late and you can't buy it. We have also seen signs in the grocery stores and at the walmarts that say liquor could not be bought in certain check out lines. The people at the registers certainly looked old enough by a long shot, so I don't know if they require the checkers to pass some sort of training, or by law that person is not allowed to sell liquor.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think any of these state questions are written very well.

In fact, please remember, the question you vote on is NOT the langauage that gets written into law. That is about 200 pages of ********.

In fact, if you have not read all of the hundreds of pages of "companion bills" that go along with each state question, you better VOTE NO ON ALL OF THEM

posted via Tapatalk

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are restrictions to liquor sales in Missouri. At the Walmart they have a cage to block the aisles during what ever times they have for their sales. Don't know what times they have but we have been in there late and you can't buy it. We have also seen signs in the grocery stores and at the walmarts that say liquor could not be bought in certain check out lines. The people at the registers certainly looked old enough by a long shot, so I don't know if they require the checkers to pass some sort of training, or by law that person is not allowed to sell liquor.

That's great. Problem is... that's not how this one is written. I'm all for refrigeration, letting grocery stores sell wine, getting rid of 3.2, etc...but they need to even the playing field.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's great. Problem is... that's not how this one is written. I'm all for refrigeration, letting grocery stores sell wine, getting rid of 3.2, etc...but they need to even the playing field.
I haven't really researched the state question yet. I just know that a lot of the objections that have been presented by the liquor store owners are actually false when you go to the states where liquor, beer and wine are sold in Grocery and big box stores. The consumer seems to be the winner.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't really researched the state question yet. I just know that a lot of the objections that have been presented by the liquor store owners are act ually false when you go to the states where liquor, beer and wine are sold in Grocery and big box stores. The consumer seems to be the winner.

How can you say their objections are false when you say you haven't researched the question?

Don't care about Missouri or whatever because this is this particular law pertaining Oklahoma... apples to oranges. Once again, they are limiting the liquor stores as to what hours they can operate or sell, they have age restrictions, and not allowing them more than 20% of ancillary products to make up for lost revenue. Walmart, QT, Reasors, etc have no such restrictions. Apply this to the gun world and y'all would be livid. Imagine a law where a gun store is forced to maintain 80% of it's revenue from Firearm sales, and then allows Wally world to do as it pleases.

As far as the consumer being the winner, well in some ways for sure, in others? Not sure because you will not have much competition on the wholesale level. Prices will likely increase in that respect.

I'm actually for most of the law, problem is in Oklahoma our lawmakers are minions to big box stores as if we need them to survive. Buy local when you can people.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try to buy Dachutes Black Butte Porter in Oklahoma. You cannot because they don't like our distribution system. But, in Texas you can find it in most grocery stores

Latest posts

Top Bottom