Stereotypes, Prejudice, and Discrimination

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure "optimal" is the best description, but I understand what you mean. Stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination have evolved in humans for good reason. But that doesn't excuse what's going on here.

Ok, I realize I am weighing-in a little late but this seems confusing as heck to me. There is no pre-defined stereotype/prejudice/discrimination line that one can cross and have it immediately recognized by all. Unless you at least lay out clear examples (no names need be attached) it is very hard to know what you, specifically, mean vice what I might regard as falling into those categories.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This forum has been overwhelmingly over-run with textbook examples of stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination. Great job guys. You are representing the shooting and hunting community well.
:ugh2:

Fixed it for you, in large red font.

See, now two posts where you've made statements that can be taken as you implying (whether intentional or not) that now "many" (in red) shooters and hunters here at OSA are guilty of stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination for speaking their mind in other threads. How your posts are perceived is just as, if not more, important that what you're trying to convey. I've not posted in any of those other threads, read them, guys speaking their minds, just like any other threads......... I've got nothing to gain or loose in those threads, or this one, just saying as I see it, just like any other person should be able to, whether for or against the idea of the OP.

I'm seeing this thread like this..........a guy goes fishing and throws out some bait (this thread) and expects to catch a few, like normal. As he begins to relax and settle in, a fish that he wasn't expecting swims up and jerks the rod out of his hand.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no idea what's going on around here so take this!!!!!!!!! VOUiM0T.jpg

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See, now two posts where you've made statements that can be taken as you implying (whether intentional or not) that now "many" (in red) shooters and hunters here at OSA are guilty of stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination for speaking their mind in other threads. How your posts are perceived is just as, if not more, important that what you're trying to convey. I've not posted in any of those other threads, read them, guys speaking their minds, just like any other threads......... I've got nothing to gain or loose in those threads, or this one, just saying as I see it, just like any other person should be able to, whether for or against the idea of the OP.

I'm seeing this thread like this..........a guy goes fishing and throws out some bait (this thread) and expects to catch a few, like normal. As he begins to relax and settle in, a fish that he wasn't expecting swims up and jerks the rod out of his hand.

Is isn't about "speaking your mind". No matter how many times you say the same thing, it doesn't become any truer.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. That was simply to highlight your incorrect characterization that this thread is about members stating their ideas or beliefs. It is not.

Wow, I never come to this area of the forum, now I know why, reading the worthless drivel in your original post and all that followed have just cost me 20 minutes of my life I can never get back.... damn man, I have a prejudice against stupid people.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, the South's gonna do it again, over and over with their siblings, cousins or anyone else who shares the same DNA.

Now I see what YG was talking about. Stereotyping, unfounded prejudice, I get it. I think of Stand Watie, and ol' Captain Hendren when I hear this tune, it's a goodun.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man's ability to recognize patterns, prejudge situations based on previous experience, and discriminate between things that are good for him and bad for him are mechanisms that are vital to his survival. All of these things boil down to an ability to quickly mentally "run the odds" on what kind of outcome a situation will result in based on all of one's prior experiences and those related to him by others, and to act accordingly. My view is that stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination are very good things, and their development should be taught more strenuously to youngsters.

There are problems that can arise when exercising this ability however. One would be the idea of "garbage in, garbage out." Man's ability to recognize patterns is very accurate when based on accurate and factual data, but if he is fed garbage beliefs about how the world works, he will make garbage decisions that are detrimental to his own well-being. Statistics can really help here.

Another issue is that a person can be taught, or even required, to suppress these vital survival skills, and to ignore the warning sirens that are being triggered in his mind. Obviously, with our survival in mind, this should be avoided.

Then there are all the different biases we tend towards that can distort our internal odds calculations in various ways, like hindsight bias, outcome bias, etc. If a person is aware of these tendencies, he can make himself more accurate in his pre-judging.

Obviously when a person has detailed knowledge of a particular situation, it should be evaluated independently instead of judged based on it's membership in some particular category... but the fact that we don't have time to acquire detailed knowledge of every individual or situation is why stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination are such important abilities.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom