Survival Essentials for boys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxjlange

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a group of dads and I that all have boys about same age so we started our own little boy scout group so to say. I want to have the boys who are all around 5-7 put together a survival pack. What all do you think i should have them put together, keeping in mind their age?

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Poncho liner, it's lite and can be used for several different things. Flash light, a small mirror 3x3, multi-tool, 9 volt battery and steel wool. Canteen, string or parachute cord, protein bars

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're 5-7 years old, so "Survival" is getting found ASAP.

Loud whistle, pocket survival blanket w/blaze orange on one side and reflective foil on the other. Water resistant LED flash light, maybe an "all night" chem light with a safety pin to attach to torso, all in a zip lock baggie.

Probably best to not give fire starting tool to kids that young. They're not capable of dealing with a fire that gets out of control.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
paracord would be an absolute must. as well as a flashlight that can be wound up.

Cover the basics: Fire, water, shelter, then food and rescue

Fire:
I don't think I'd depend on a 9 volt and steel wool. I would, however, put a fire striker in there and teach them how to use it. Cotton balls covered in vasseline are great fire starter. use the multi-tool to strike the starter. Teach them how to build two types of fires: a regular fire for cooking a smoky fire for signal.

Water:
Some method of filtration or sanitization. either iodine tabs (yuk) or a life-straw. Give them knowledge of how to find water, how to use the tabs or straw. Knowledge is key here. they need to know how to read the signs to find water

Shelter:
surjimmy hit this one perfectly - a pancho cover. Can be used to make a tent, worn to keep dry or used to catch rainwater - lots of uses.

Food:
A couple of energy bars are great. so would be snare material and the knowledge of how to set them. I'd add in a small amount of fishing gear too.

Rescue:
Signal mirror for sure. compass and the ability to read it, even if just the basics and a loud whistle. a good activity would be braiding para-cord bracelets with whistles in them.

You mentioned the Boy Scouts, have you considered getting their book on outdoor survival as a guide? Maybe even chartering a troop? They're really easy to charter and immensely rewarding.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What type of survival are we talking about here? Wilderness or criminal? Or a little of both?

Thomas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember my first kit about age 7. It was base on a belt pouch design from The Hardy Boys Survival Handbook.

It has been a few years, but it at least had an emergency blanket, whistle, signal mirror, compass, rope saw, water purification tablets, fishing line/hook/weights, magnesium bar, parachute cord, alchohol/iodine swabs and some band aids. All that fit inside a little metal cup (not quite a canteen cup, but those would probably work) which then fit in an old military first aid pouch. (http://www.amazon.com/Military-Issue-Medical-Instrument-Genuine/dp/B005FCH31C)

It surely also had a p38 and some safety pins.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom