Through and through

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300WSM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I shot a deer this evening, arrow went all the way through. The shot was high behind the shoulder, but above the vitals. I found no blood, but my arrow was covered in blood. Shot was about 27 yards. I am going back in the morning to look some more. Anyone else ever have this situation? Did you find the deer?

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are so many variables in this. Sometimes the shot will be enough and sometimes not. You will have to work hard at the blood trail. My brother shot one like this this am and it went 400 yrds and died. It was easy to trail in the leaves but it went through some grass fields and it was very tedious to track there. The deer had been dead a long time by the time he found it. His exit was low enough that it got the top of the lungs. Good luck and I hope you find it. Try to stay with the blood and don't just start wandering around unless the blood gives out completely.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Two years ago I shot one the shot looked perfect the arrow was covered with blood the blood trail was the blood trail looked like he had bled out 10 gallons .My friend shot one the same night his arrow was covered in green stuff with no blood trail.We decided to wait until morning. We found his and never found mine.His buck was a 120class the one I killed would have scored around 150P&Y I have not bowhunted since. But anyway you never know look near water and under cedars.Get a buddy to help if possible. Good luck

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The deer will most likely head downhill. He'll go near water and/or thickets. There is an area between the vital zone and the spine that if hit there, the deer can survive. Like JCW says, take something to use as markers. Hang a square of TP on the tree limbs every so often so you can see the pattern developing and visualize where the dear is heading. Also, depending on the hit, the cavity can fill with blood and leave very little behind for tracking. Stay on it and good luck.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's possible that it could take awhile to die if at all, so the possibility of it going bad is lessened. Hopefully it bled out internally and just laid down, fell asleep and never woke up. He did right in waiting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom