Trucks.. Ford Chevy or RAM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone cares at this point I think I just bought a 2012 f150. It only has 55k on it. A brand new one would of been nice but with the check I got for my totaled one I was able to add enough cash to be into this payment free

Went to Fayetteville to pick up the truck and it was a major piece of crap. It was supposed to be bone stock. It had glass packs chrome cold air kit aftermarket throttle body and spacer and ran like total crap. We have a 2011 just like it ( same motor and gears ) so I'd say I have a real good idea what it is supposed to be.

Next truck I found was a Crew cab ecoboost it Matthews. It ran "ok" but I had a lot of concerns about it. New pads on very chewed up rotors and the underside was extremely rusted with deep pitting. Makes me wonder if it had been in a saltwater flood.

In the end I found a 2014 RAM big horn that Enterprise car sales brought in for me from Cincinnati Ohio. Finally got to pick it up last night and so far I'm pretty happy with it. Funny thing about the ram is that I was actually in Cincinnati on Sunday and could of drove it home myself but since I thought I already had a deal in the works we disregarded it

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at the title and thought you were speaking of my Ford Chevy Ram truck, Or thought someone else has one??

Mine is a 1947 Dodge D100 with ford Pinto suspension and Ford Truck 9" with Ford truck springs some Ford cooling fan and pulleys mounted on a chevy engine.
But I have Honda and Mitsubishi and Harley parts on it.
I call it a Hybrid vehicle.. Just about all my cars are hybrid.

Glad you got something that makes you happy.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at the title and thought you were speaking of my Ford Chevy Ram truck, Or thought someone else has one??

Mine is a 1947 Dodge D100 with ford Pinto suspension and Ford Truck 9" with Ford truck springs some Ford cooling fan and pulleys mounted on a chevy engine.
But I have Honda and Mitsubishi and Harley parts on it.
I call it a Hybrid vehicle.. Just about all my cars are hybrid.

Glad you got something that makes you happy.

Cool! got a pic?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is one.
https://www.okshooters.com/data/Met....com_albums_ii146_6jeffswish_truckload002.jpg
i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii146_6jeffswish_truckload002.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Rooster I need to finish the next engine for it.
358 stroker with a tunnel-ram and 2 600 carbs Solid flat tappet cam 252@ .050 on a 106 LSA.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Roller cams suck to say the least.
Yea I know many people run them..I also know many people have failed lifters and cams. both roller and flat tappet.
But I see many more roller cams in the cam shop that have failed with very low miles on them.

And this cam was my sort of invention with the 601 heads I run.
It is a proven circle track grind from crane started life as a dual pattern the .518" -.536" lift ,, it is their F3 Lobe
this one.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-110921

My choice of factory iron heads even ported need much help on the intake side.
So I had the cam grinder guy grind the cam as a single pattern using the ex lobe master 252 duration @ .050-.536" lift.

I had him make me 3 of them I used one in a 355" with cast dished pistons and 601 heads with 1.94-1.50 valves and a .015" gasket.
It went mid 11's with 4.11 gears and 3500 stall summit racing converter..Hurricane intake and 800 double pumper.. it was in a 1976 stepside chevy lightened to 3000 lbs without driver.. early shifting at 7,000 rpm.
I thought for sure the low end would suffer but it did not , it had 11.5" vacuum at idle enough for power brakes.

Revved like a KZ 1000.
I have been in many cars with roller cams and only a couple would impress me.
The 270 magnum XE comp grind does not impress me.
The thing actually gave many troubles with the supplied comp lifters... replaced 3 sets of lifters as they just quit after a couple hundred miles..
Would not hold pressure..New build everything was spotless. It was a 327 with 180 afr competition heads. That roller experience leaves a bad taste in your mouth over $1000 extra for much more headaches and the power was not any better than the XE268H flat tappet with 492 heads I ported on the same 327 short block. sad indeed.
I do not really even like that 268XE either it was lacking vs a 280 magnum and even the 270H magnum old school would out pull the XE268

Yea there are other lifters.
But I have a strong liking for solid flat tappets.. and I run the Howards EDM lifters on them now.
I ran my Herbert CC4C for 75,000 miles. 2 years to get those miles on it. That is a solid flat tappet It seen 8500 rpm 2 times in a 350
Normally shifted it at 7600-7800 rpm.

I love My rpm.
If i ever go roller it will be a solid roller With bushed lifters not bearing ones and I want it to rev.

Here is a small camold school comp grind 268H in a 350" in the truck 3.25 gears 29.5" tall tires TH 350 and low stall converter.
The cam is hydraulic flat tappet ground on a 106LSA,, added overlap helps the upper rpm.

Here is the video with the 268H My first video.. crappy i know.
The engine will easily rev to 7000 with that little cam.
I ran 4.56 gears and a coan 4500 stall with the same 268 on a 106LSA and it hit 7400 rpm before i knew what happened.SHIFT!! I set it up like that for the Elreno cruise

watch

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom