Turkey hunting 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_3594.jpeg
IMG_3593.jpeg
Somebody in my house is gonna shoot a turkey with this lil 410, or atleast give it a real good effort. It’ll probably be me, but Im pot committed at this point. It’s just the cutest little shotgun. I think I’m gonna like it very much.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple of shotguns that shoot 3.5" shells, but never used anything other than the Browning Citori O/U with 2 3/4" pheasant loads using #5 shot. Never had to use the bottom barrel.
The .410 is going to be a challenge getting them in close enough to be effective.
Have you patterned it yet?

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple of shotguns that shoot 3.5" shells, but never used anything other than the Browning Citori O/U with 2 3/4" pheasant loads using #5 shot. Never had to use the bottom barrel.
The .410 is going to be a challenge getting them in close enough to be effective.
Have you patterned it yet?
I picked it up yesterday, it will be next week before I get a chance to shoot it. I’ve read several accounts of people getting consistent, killable patterns at 40yds with TSS 9 shot and the factory fixed mod choke. If it’ll give me a useable pattern at 25yds, I’ll be happy.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did buy another Encore turkey barrel this week but only because it was cheap, and I’ve got a plan to create a one of a kind Encore shotgun. Hopefully it’ll work.
My new turkey shotgun project is complete. These kevlar stocks were produced for Virgin Valley Custom Guns in the early 2000’s before they went out of business, and if you can trust internet rumor, there are only 200+/- in existence. I have two sets. One was bought directly from VVCG in 2003ish, and it took 10 years to find this set. The forend is set up for a hangar bar system, and I had to modify an extra hangar bar to properly fit the shotgun barrel. The gun itself is really nothing special, but I love the fit and feel of these stock sets. I plan to add an optic rail and may paint the stock.

Edit to add. Some times it pays to be a gun parts hoarder, because I found an optic rail I forgot I had. Now I plan to pattern it this evening.
IMG_0500.jpeg

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I just thought I got a good deal on the Hawke Vantage scope with the turkey reticle from Cameraland a few weeks ago, but now Midway has them on sale for $150. :rolleyes2

I’m a glass snob and don’t normally even look at low end optics, but I’m really impressed with this scope and will probably end up buying another one at that price.
IMG_2444.png

Last edited:

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Youse guys and your new fangled toys.

When you get to be an old hand at turkey hunting you’ll call’em up so close and reach out from under your gillie suit, grab’em by the neck and choke’em out.

No wast of mat, no shells to buy, easy peasy.
Haha. I don’t know man, I’ve gotten hold of a couple that were a helluva lot less dead than they appeared. In the moment and lacking a plan, they’re a more formidable opponent than I expected

Latest posts

Top Bottom