Walking along the AR River in Tulsa?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This may be a goofy idea, but has anyone ever walked along the bed of the Arkansas River during low water flows, downstream of south Tulsa say in the Bixby or Broken Arrow areas? I was thinking of spots where I could let my dogs run loose and go swimming without bothering anyone, while I walk along the sand bars behind them. I know shifting sand can be a danger, but has anyone ever done this, and if so, where did you gain access to the river?

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like this guy?
[Broken External Image]

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110320_11_0_Amanst57504

A man stranded on a sand bar in the Arkansas River Sunday afternoon had to be rescued when the water level rose while he was fishing.

Jed Phillips called 911 when he realized the swift current and rising water south of the Pedestrian Bridge would not let him cross back to shore.

Crews arrived around 5:15 p.m. and saw Phillips on a sand bar near the west bank of the river.

A three-man crew slowly waded through the water to the sand bar to get Phillips a life jacket and wade back with him. He was brought back to shore about 5:50. "I waded across to fish a little out on the sand bar and didn't realize how quick the water was coming up," Phillips said.

Neither Phillips nor any firefighters were injured.

Phillips was cited by the Tulsa Police Department for "swimming, standing or wading in the Arkansas River."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110320_11_0_Amanst57504

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like this guy?

I knew someone would bring up that article :P That's partly why I asked about the river further downstream, where the banks are much further apart and the water doesn't rise as fast.

Phillips was cited by the Tulsa Police Department for "swimming, standing or wading in the Arkansas River."

Hmm - I wonder if that citation was because he was in the water, or simply standing between the banks of the river. I've seen plenty of fishermen on the rocks and sand bars below the low-water dam; I wonder if they get cited too?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm - I wonder if that citation was because he was in the water, or simply standing between the banks of the river. I've seen plenty of fishermen on the rocks and sand bars below the low-water dam; I wonder if they get cited too?

I'm just guessing, but I suspect it's because they had to bail his butt out. I imagine if you are out there on the bank or even knee-deep, and exercising care as to not necessitate a rescue, then it's a moot point :)

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The citation is for wading or swimming between the low water dam and the bouys. I had a game warden try to cite me along with about 12 others once. I argued because I had not got in the water in that area. I had waded below the bouys and walked up on the rocks to fish. Luckily when his partner came back from the west bank he confirmed that I had not been wading. I very much miss wade fishing in the river but they screwed most of that up when they put in the low water dam. I remember fondly wading and fishing with my father and great uncle when I was a kid back in the 70's. Now the opportunities are few and far between and the river is heavily polluted above the dam. Too bad.

Sorry, I don't know much of the river down South. But thanks for the memory spark.

Latest posts

Top Bottom