Wanting to build an AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used the video library here. I watched each one a couple of times before I started assembling that particular piece of the rifle. You won't need all the tools they have, but the assembly information is good.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In case it isn't also obvious, go over to ar15.com and m4carbine.net and READ! Don't spend a dime until you read the stickies, read the general AR discussions, etc. Spend a week or three FIRST.

The couple of months I spent reading made me a much more savvy consumer and kept me from wasting money when it was time for me to own a black rifle.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In case it isn't also obvious, go over to ar15.com and m4carbine.net and READ! Don't spend a dime until you read the stickies, read the general AR discussions, etc. Spend a week or three FIRST.

The couple of months I spent reading made me a much more savvy consumer and kept me from wasting money when it was time for me to own a black rifle.

this!!

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

And if you're not sure which handguard, grip, sights or type of trigger, go finger some at your local gun shop/pawn shop! I bought quite a few parts that others liked and worked just fine but were not to my liking. You'll save money and time if you build it the way you want it the first time (rarely happens though!)

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yarddog, I'm also just working out my first build, but am a bit ahead of you...

Here are a few suggestions:
1) Barrel -- nitride is cheaper than chrome, but neither are really necessary for just the occasional user.
2) If you want to get a rail handguard, see if you can get it already installed on a complete upper
3) If you want an upgraded trigger, see if you can get it already in a lower kit
4) Don't put your money into a costly stripped lower -- there's not enough of a difference between them (i.e. a $90 spikes vs. a $250 black rain)
5) be sure to get a 5.56 kit vs. a .223 (as the former can take both, the latter is not quite up to stress specs for 5.56)
6) get your upper with M4 feed ramp
7) probably not worth $ to get a piston, but they run cleaner
8) try out grips and stocks at Academy, etc. to find the one you like.
9) Keep your eyes out for deals using slickguns, armslist, etc..

With these considerations in mind, here's what I bought:
1) Spikes stripped lower from Cold Hand Arms for $90+tax (you can get Anderson lowers for around $60, but I liked the spider logo on the Spikes)
2) RRA Lower Kit with 2-stage trigger & ERGO grip from Edmond Arms and Ammo for $135+tax
3) Complete Upper with quad rails from Tactical Outfitters (ad on Armslist) for $380 +$15 shipping (if you get a complete upper with the rail you want, you can avoid buying a few tools you might not have)
4) Magpul ACS with complete Buffer tube kit from DGSarms.com for $95 + shipping (amazing price, but they just raised their price to $120 -- note also that mine was shipped immediately even though their site says 3 week backorder)
5) 7x magnifier with flip to side mount from Amazon $80 + $35 (I already have a few red dots around)
6) back up 45 degree flip up iron sights from Amazon $25
7) Forward Grip-Pod from ebay for $10
8) flashlight mount from ebay for $10 (already have a few flashlights around)
9) I still need a few more items, incl. mags & sling, but that's about it.

So, adding up the essentials (#1-4), for about $750, I'll have an AR that would retail for more like $1000.
I'd certainly welcome input on the above if anyone thinks I should have chosen a better option.

I cannot vouch for the armslist upper, but it has been shipped and will arrive tomorrow. Here's the dealer's ad:
http://www.armslist.com/posts/23221...half-ar15-1-8-or-1-9-twist-option-ar-15--sale

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is some solid advice and some questionable advice so far as I see it. While it is true that you CAN build a good AR for less than you could buy one at retail, the more important issue is what role you are wanting the weapon to serve.
Having the background info will only help you after you have decided that question.

Latest posts

Top Bottom