What are your favorite drills to do with your carry gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
let’s say at the range or at home dry fire practice?

What do y’all do to get proficient?

I’ve seen the Dot Torture target. What else is there?

FB7F23D4-1F8B-429F-BFC8-AFF35C1A5395.png

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drawstroke and dry fire at home, at light switches or small taped up targets. Weak hand included. Try to clear plate racks, six plates with six shots at the range, live fire. Include emergency reloads.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always start and end with 10 yards slow fire at the furthest distance possible. Head box at 25 yards or less, torso out to 50.

Once ammo got expensive, one drill I do is load the gun and two spare mags with three rounds each. Set up three targets with at least three yards between each one, about 7 yards out. On the signal, draw, fire one round each torso, reload, one more round each torso, reload and one round each head box. When you can reliably go down zero points, increase the distance to 10 yards, then 15, etc.

That gives you a draw, six target transitions and two slide lock reloads with just nine rounds fired. Pretty economical drill for live fire.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting a new drill; I'm calling it the Dicken Drill in honor of the guy who nailed the scum in the mall.

2/3rds IPSC target or A-zone at 40 yards, draw and fire 10 shots in 15 seconds from concealment, 5 hits to pass.

I don't know how many hits Dicken managed when he shot the bastard, but I figure 5 hits is a good baseline anyway.

ETA: Just informed that he scored 8 hits, so 8 to pass. I think a lot of people would have a hard time with this one - it's asking a lot.

Also, it should be practiced cold. No warm up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom