What did you do to 'prep' today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I'll ask... How do you know? ;)

I've heard it's too much baking soda that will turn them to mush. Is it strictly salt that will do it or too much soda as well?

I'm asking because I'm ignorant on this and not to say your wrong. :)

Because they taste like ****! :) I've heard the same thing about baking soda turning them to mush, but I've not experienced it. It doesn't take much. Just add 1/8 tsp (up to 1/4 tsp) for every cup of beans you are soaking to the water you are soaking them in. The time I added salt when I cooked after soaking my beans in baking soda I thought they were WAY too salty tasting. GC didn't seem to mind them but the man will salt a slice of buttered bread until it is salt-crusted and eat it. Bleech ...

I will tell you this ... the less baking soda you use the more bite the beans will retain. So ... if you are wanting to make refried beans go ahead and use 1/4 tsp or maybe even a little more. Wanting to drain those beans and use them in a salad, relish or some other recipe that needs the beans to hold their shape? Use the lesser amount. It's kinda like baking bread ... there is definitely an "art" to it ...

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today I rebuilt our hygiene stores (I got lazy and used it as a supply point). Restocked some buckets with toothpaste, soap, shampoo, hand sanitizer, garbage bags, etc...

I will tell you this ... the less baking soda you use the more bite the beans will retain. So ... if you are wanting to make refried beans go ahead and use 1/4 tsp or maybe even a little more. Wanting to drain those beans and use them in a salad, relish or some other recipe that needs the beans to hold their shape? Use the lesser amount. It's kinda like baking bread ... there is definitely an "art" to it ...

Do you always soak your beans before cooking?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today I rebuilt our hygiene stores (I got lazy and used it as a supply point). Restocked some buckets with toothpaste, soap, shampoo, hand sanitizer, garbage bags, etc...

Do you always soak your beans before cooking?

Not always ... Only if I'm using old beans. If I'm using "fresh" beans I just throw them in the slow cooker and cook the **** outta them ... :teehee: (I'm kinda lazy that way ... :) )

And I need to do what you've done ... I don't remember the last time I bought shaving cream or razors ... Or shampoo or body soap for that matter ... Actually now that I think about it I do remember the last time because the bottle of shampoo I opened this morning had "2009" marked on it ... And we still have enough of all those things to coast for a long, long time ...

Same with laundry soap ... and dish soap ... I can make my own but when I can catch it on sale and use a coupon (or two) also, it just looks so pretty lined up on the shelf in BadgeBunny-Mart ... :teehee:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, I dug out seeds to start a fall garden with ... AND tomorrow we are gonna put that poor greenhouse together one more time (the wind has been brutal to the poor thing). I'd like to see how long I can keep tender plants going through the fall/winter ...

Just about time to breed the rabbits ... probably in the next couple of weeks ... YEAH!!

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the last 3-4 weeks a couple hundred pounds of dry goods, several pounds of powder, a few thousand primers, ~100 lbs of wheel weights, some upgraded reloading equipment, and 8 liters of Crown.

Latest posts

Top Bottom