What did you do to 'prep' today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought a new Dutch Oven!!!

Put up another 50 pounds of Pintos.

Got another 4 dozen canning jars, 12 cans of Fruit Fresh, and 2 cases of caps and rings.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On average how long does say dehydrated bananas or apples last?

Bought a 5 gallon diesel can (yesterday).

Commercial, sealed 10 years I believe, once opened keep the can closed and I think it is 6 months. However I always vacuum seal the unopened part and it keeps fine.

Homemade, you can dip them in lemon juice to help them retain color while drying. I am going to try some fruit fresh on some and see how that does. Mine are vacuum seaaled and I have some I have left for a couple of years.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On average how long does say dehydrated bananas or apples last?

Bought a 5 gallon diesel can (yesterday).

Ahhhh ... errr ... around here not nearly long enough! LOL The "professional" stuff you buy in 10# cans will last 10 to 15 years IIRC. My home-done stuff we try to rotate the apples out every year. I've given up on trying to do the bananas ... Mine always turn out tasting off no matter what I do -- and I've tried everything under the sun. :scratch::grumble:

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahhhh ... errr ... around here not nearly long enough! LOL The "professional" stuff you buy in 10# cans will last 10 to 15 years IIRC. My home-done stuff we try to rotate the apples out every year. I've given up on trying to do the bananas ... Mine always turn out tasting off no matter what I do -- and I've tried everything under the sun. :scratch::grumble:

I am going to try some fruit fresh. For bananas dip in lemon juice and then honey powder.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to try some fruit fresh. For bananas dip in lemon juice and then honey powder.

Honey powder? I don't think I've ever seen it. Emergency Essentials?? Honeyville Grain?? Give me a hint, man!!

I got a slicer thingee from Excalibur but I think it makes the slices too thick and they are still kinda pliable. Maybe if I cut them in half again and then try the honey powder ... hmmmmm ... I see a "test" project in my future ...

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom