What did you do to 'prep' today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKMinuteman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Genius. That's a better home defense weapon than a brace of AK47s.

I figure times get tuff I could hoist a couple small hives with maybe 15,000 bees each in trees and with a well placed shot to the suspendsion line they would hit the ground like a landline. Of course being the pacifist that I am I'd never ever ever do anything like that but it is food for thought and it would sure a hell make a memory.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well trained bees wouldn't need a falling hive to attack. Ideally, it would work like this:

Mob: "AARRRGGGHHHH. We're coming to kill you and eat your food. Grrrrrrrrrr."
Owner: "I will prevent you from doing this, mob people"
Mob: "HA HA HA HA. You're going to stop us?! You and what army? HA HA HA HA."
Owner: [finger snap]
Mob: "I hear buzzing"

alive5050

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put in a storm shelter (finally) & I bought a mini fridge for my 3 year old's insulin (she's T1D). It's nice having the hole in the ground when I'm away for business on occassion, don't have to worry about my family. Smart Shelters is the vendor, they do a stand up job!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we're about to commit to a small monthly budget for stored food. If we can start buying a little bit each month, it might be easier than the big purchases we've made in the past.

This is what we did and it worked GREAT for us. Get a bonus?? Use it for "camping stuff" ... Get paid every two weeks? The months that you get that third check is good for adding a little to what you already have. Coupons and store discounts at places at CVS and Walgreens can't be beat -- even by Wal-Mart. I shop at CVS regularly and it's not unusual for me to walk out of the store with a couple hundred bucks worth of stuff for $50, sometimes less ... And it's stuff we actually use -- not just buying it because it was cheap or free (even though I do do that every once in a while).

If you don't know it already Costco will deliver to your door, shipping and handling is included in the purchase price, and every so often they have a sale on their emergency (FD/DH) foods and merchandise. I've done orders for several OSA members for my cost, so for us the cost of the membership was worth it. We've gotten a really good price on some long-term storage items and helped out several folks, too.

Is the Chef's store open to the public? It was my understanding it was wholesale restaraunt supply only. :spaghetti:

Did anybody find out about this. I looked online but couldn't find any info ... I "might" have to bribe GC with lunch and us take a little trip to the southside tomorrow. Hmmmmmm ...

Put in a storm shelter (finally) & I bought a mini fridge for my 3 year old's insulin (she's T1D). It's nice having the hole in the ground when I'm away for business on occassion, don't have to worry about my family. Smart Shelters is the vendor, they do a stand up job!

How big is it?? Can you store a lot of stuff and still have room for people?!? (and dogs?!!? LOL) There is a member here (Tampabucs) who does storm shelters. He's given me a great price and I'm so ready to get a storm shelter in place. By July, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

I didn't get much done today ... Damned headaches :grumble: ... The chickens are working hard, though -- everybody laid today and the little meat birds we got are fat as ticks and growing life weeds ... 7 more weeks and counting :D ...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's like 8 long by 6 wide. Paid 2700. Plenty of room in it. Couldn't live without it lol.

That's pretty good! I can hardly wait!! GC keeps telling me he'll just go to the CU and borrow the money (it's at some insane rate ... like 2.9% or something) but I'm a "cash and carry" kinda gal ... LOL ... So, we'll wait a couple more months. Then we'll be good to go cuz I'll have M.O.N.E.Y.!! :D

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got to spend about two hours in "the bunker" today. Before I started, I had an unorganized pile of 6 gallon buckets. When I finished, I'd assembed five metal shelving units and all my stuff is stored neatly with labels showing. Oh, and I did some serious cleaning down there. You could eat off the floor. (Well, maybe not that clean.)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got to spend about two hours in "the bunker" today. Before I started, I had an unorganized pile of 6 gallon buckets. When I finished, I'd assembed five metal shelving units and all my stuff is stored neatly with labels showing. Oh, and I did some serious cleaning down there. You could eat off the floor. (Well, maybe not that clean.)

OK ... now you're just rubbin' it in ... :D LOL I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooo ready to have some place to use for a root cellar ... :lookaroun WHAT?!?!? You didn't think I was scared of a little o' tornado did you?!?!? :wink2:

I purchased a side of beef from a friend of mine who took a few cows to the butcher.

HEY! I'll swap you a couple chickens for a side of beef ... :wink2:

We finally got the stuff together to fix the dog kennel ... Those guys are gonna stop running through my raised beds if it's the last thing I ever teach them! Also, picked up some flower bulbs (peonies, gladiolas (sp??), etc.) to put in the front garden ... I'll grab some herbs to plant in amongst them when things warm up a bit more. Also lined the window boxes to get them ready for some plants, even though I'm not sure what I want to put in them yet. I'm thinking about squash and maybe a couple of patio tomato plants ... or an eggplant and a couple of peppers in the other ...

Put up some netting along the north fence line (gets sun during the best parts of the day, shade during the hottest) for cucumbers, melons and probably some climbing peas or beans ... Any suggestions as to what else edible that might climb there nicely??

Also got the baby chickens a little bit bigger home fixed up. Those little buggers are growing like weeds!!

Now I'm cruising Craigslist looking for rabbits ...

And I'm plotting how to dig up some of the grass in the front to start a big "flower" bed in the front ... It'll have some ornamentals but mostly edibles ... Eventually I'd like to have a "cottage" look garden over about 3/4ths of the front yard that's a mixture ... It's gotta look nice but I'd like to harvest quite a bit from it too ... Wish me luck, there is no HOA here, but I do have GC to contend with ... :grumble:

Latest posts

Top Bottom