What do you think is a good old .308?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12gabackup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stick with a bolt.

All the recommendations above are fine.

Do not buy a Rem 788. Accurate and cheap, but they break the bolt handle off easily under normal usage, and you cannot get replacement parts. There is a reason Rem quit making the 788.

jej

The 788 also kicks worse than about any other 308 I've shot.

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get a used, non-Accutrigger Savage for under $200 sometimes. Gun shows not as much as garage sales, classified ads, people at work, etc. The trigger isn't as good, but you can buy aftermarket triggers for ~$50. The ones I've shot didn't need that, though.

Get some $30 steel rings and a $50 scope at Wal-Mart and you'll do well enough for a hunting rifle.

Jpt

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may also want to look into a Ruger 77; they have been around for quite a while and are built on a slightly modified Mauser 98 action which has proven itself for over one hundred years. The bolts large gas shield, controlled round feed and extractor system are very positive; making it one of the safest, most reliable and durable as well as copied actions of all time.
But then again I'm kind of partial to the Mauser style action...if you couldn't tell ;)

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were ME I would find a Steven M200 in 308, then if your anything like ME you woud purchase a B&C stock and if you were ME I would buy a SSS trigger and decent set of rings like Warne and bases, find me a good quality scope and be done with it! if you haven't figured it out I'm kinda picky LOL thing about the Stevens is that the Savage parts fit also so if you really liked rifles then you could tinker change calibers at home with a couple of inexpensive tools. For a budget rifle it's going to be hard to beat a Stevens for all the things you can do later if you wish BUT please don't go on the cheap with your scope! good quality glass is not like it used to be and close to $1000 you can find makers of good glass for a third that cost these days. Just my suggestion so take it for what's it's worth. Later,

Kirk

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You can find a used remmy 700 sps tactical for around 500 or a little less if you look. With a 20" barrel it's not to heavy to hunt with and would be a verry good rifle to start with. Good accuracy and probably the best resale value for a factory rifle.

+1
I really like mine.

Pat

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Savage will let you switch barrels, which will give you many short action cartridges to choose from. It's easy, and costs only a fraction of the price of a new rifle. Just another reason to go with the Savage.

My long action Savage was less than $200 on the internet, and though the trigger is the old style, it's pretty nice. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom