What is everyone using to bust birds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
let me clarify. Of my grandad's guns the only one I don't have in my possession is the 870 Wingmaster.

Had I been thinking I would have handed him the Remington 760 .30-06.

so let me mention two gun right quick. Colt Detective Special and S&W Model 10. The model 10 was my grandads duty pistol. I also have his badge and collar brass.

In order to keep all the guns I gave up one. Yeah it was worth it.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to stick with a 12 thats cool but I would still try to find one that I did not mind lugging around. Have you looked at Franchi AL48's. I had one in 20 and that thing was a pleasure to carry. And before it starts I do understand that many like to have heavy barrels to make a better swing on the target etc.etc.etc.. I threw that out the window at mile 10. Started point shooting and never looked back.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BY FAR my favorite dove and quail shotgun (I'd hunt pheasants with it too) is my 11-87 Premier in 20 ga. It is a beautiful, light weight gun and, toting the same amount of shells, 20 ga shells are much more fun to carry around than 12 ga shells. I shoot clays very well with it and it has NEVER malfunctioned. Granted, I take very good care of my guns and they are always clean and properly lubricated in accordance with the manuals.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Benelli SBE 2. Hands down the best semi auto I have ever owned or shouldered. That said, I still shoot both my English stock Citori's in 12 and 20 hunting upland. I prefer the straight stock for quick shouldering, and the 2 different chokes of the over/under.
Anyone who hasn't hunted with an over/under starts in with the "only 2 shots... blah, blah, blah." Pay them no mind. you will have a better bird to shell ratio with an over/under that you will have with a semiauto or pump. I can only recall 3 times in 10 years when I wish i would have had an extra shell.
*Hunting an over under is also distinguishing. Anyone can hunt with a pump or semiauto.
*An over/under will retain value 3X over an old used pump or semi-auto.
*A hunt is more enjoyable with a beautiful gun.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But aren't you required to wear a goofy hat, a blazer with leather elbow pads and have a nice little Springer or other bird dog to use an over and under?

Latest posts

Top Bottom