What lubricant do you use on your firearms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious.

CLP evaporates away in a matter of days without use and when firing it is gone within in minutes. Is this not an issue? Are the lubricating properties in the material left behind after the liquid part goes bye-bye?

Serious question - not being sarcastic. I used to use CLP almost exclusively but it's drying out so quickly always bothered me a great deal.

Interesting question. When I use Break Free CLP I don't get the same results....are you using any solvents before hand? Maybe left behind solvents are deteriorating the CLP?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the gun.

Modern plastic fantastics and AR's get CLP for cleaning and synthetic motor oil, slide glide or synthetic grease for lube.

Revo's and vintage shotguns get ballistol for cleaning and lube because you don't have to worry about getting it on the wood, it's actually good for it too.

For safe queens I've been known to use eezox or even johnson's paste wax, but ballistol is very good for long term rust protection.

For old school military guns like M1As and Garands, it's clp or synthetic motor oil and grease.

I like the smell of Hoppes #9 so I clean the barrels with it on occasion.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting question. When I use Break Free CLP I don't get the same results....are you using any solvents before hand? Maybe left behind solvents are deteriorating the CLP?

Nope - when I used it it was all I used. By the end of a range session it was just plain gone off off any pistol. Carry gun - dry as a bone by the end of a week. That's why I switched to grease on slides and use a CLP/Mobil 1 mixture anywhere oil is recommended. I am currently testing Royal Purple to see if it hangs around as long as the factory rep who was hawking it at H&H once said it would.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's right #9 is a cleaner, not a lubricant. If that's all you have best invest a few bucks in a lubricant that strikes your fancy and has been mentioned here.

I think some people might get Hoppe's 9 solvent mixed up with Hoppe's Lube that has the number nine on it.

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_faad26df.jpg

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_fc4383a2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom