Where are all the guys that went to college intead of the military??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both have there place. Sometimes wish I had joined. I know a lot of oil patch folks who make way more than me and have no college hours or military experience. Thanks, to all who have kept it so we can have a choice.

What's you specialty expertzx?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But this is a gun forum, so not having military experience is like being a virgin in a cathouse.

No, I doubt most vets or active duty here think of it like that. I don't. Sure there's a "band of brothers" thing maybe but so what? Example: I am not in the "inner circle" of LEOs, but that doesn't mean we can't have discussions amongst us, eh? (preferably not with one of them writing me a ticket). It's a gun forum. but it's a "community" of peeps who like guns and shooting and who beleive in the lawful RKBA".

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
gun001guns said:
I am going to make an observation with no intention to piss off anyone who has the tenacity and courage to serve, but... I have noticed that the vast majority of those who listed their service record in general stated it was some of the best time of ther lives and they loved it, however if that is truely the case why did/do more of those serving not do longer service time (20 year retrement) etc. I noticed that about six years seems to be a good average based solely on these that listed. I mean if it's a great gig why quit? I have nothing but the utmost respect for them no matter the length of time given.
For the record I went to college during the years of the draft right after high school . My number was 54.
Trying to maintain, a c+ average or above to keep up the deferment, working 40 hrs a week, trying to maintain a household with a Pregnant wife and no insurance was incredibly tough. The grades slipped and the draft notice came. Instead of taking the two year draft, I enlisted for three, and got a school of my choice.
Baby was born.
I made three duty stations in the first year with basic, AIT, and school. The family got to stay with me for 4 months while in school.
The next two and 1/2 years twere spent in various locations in SE Asia, Korea, and others. I got to come home twice in that time for leave. My son didn't even know who I was.
Was the duty good? Mostly. Sometimes great, sometimes it sucked.
Coming back stateside, got great duty with the family living as a unit finally. It was just like a job, so I signed up for another three, had another son, and found out that if I re-upped again, it was going to be a 5 year tour without dependents, so, I got out. Family was more important.
I had a full ride back to college, with the GI bill, and tried it, but couldn't take the harassment of being a veteran in that era, and being forced to live in the substandard quarters that those on the GI bill were forced to endure. Basically a Quonset hut.
I did join the local reserve unit though for 10 more years.
I suspect family separations ended a lot of military careers.

E

eggs0321

Serving in the military is like a really hard day's work. When you're done, you're beat, but when you look back on what you accomplished you can't help but feel good about it now that the pain is gone, and that first beer that you have will never taste better.

I'm more excited to go to college now than I ever could have been if I had just gone after HS, and I will appreciate it so much more than I ever could have before. That said, the reason I'm so excited to go to college is that I'm so excited to leave the military. I've managed to do a lot in 4 years, but 4 years is enough for me.

Boomerdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tried to go Army Reserve while attending grad school in DC back in 1984. Old hockey knee issues precluded going airborne after basic, so I elected not to do it. Went on to law school at the age of 30 while working full time and never looked back.

I have 5 uncles that served 20 or more years in various branches, so the family was well represented in the service. I admire, respect and appreciate all of those who chose to serve our country.

Latest posts

Top Bottom